Looking for 8 inch rear

Private parties ONLY, no commecial items please!
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Looking for 8 inch rear

Post by A/FX »

popscomet wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:16 pm
who on here has ever tore up a rear gear ???...8 or 9in....pop
Back in the ‘70’s I cleaned every tooth except four off a 8” ring gear, and that is when I had a 289 in the Cyclone. When I installed the Boss engine the car also got a 9”.
A’57-‘59 Ford 9” housing is a bolt in to a Comet/ Falcon, no modifications needed even the parking brake cable works.
It may be an over kill but this time around I installed this under my Cyclone:

'64 Cyclone

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
I did once, Pop but it wasn't from pounding the thing. Leaking pinion seal did it. Didn't notice the leak 'cause I parked in the yard.

JT

1963 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

under what conditions did you tear up the rear gear??? high rpm clutch dump ? on the street or on a sticky track....there has to be a reason to strip all but 4 teeth off a ring gear,,,,pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JOE,sounds like you didn't tear up ,,,you burnt up from lack of grease....pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:52 pm
JOE,sounds like you didn't tear up ,,,you burnt up from lack of grease....pop
Yeah, I tore it up when I didn't change the seal and it burnt up :lol:
Didn't grenade, just popped and hummed so loud you couldn't hear yourself think :P

JT
Last edited by Joe Travers on Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1963 Custom Hardtop

caliente289

Post by caliente289 »

OK,
Attachments
2F9592F3-029E-4231-A488-4CDFA03205D0 (1).jpg
2F9592F3-029E-4231-A488-4CDFA03205D0 (1).jpg (253.53 KiB) Viewed 204 times

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

COOL ..looks like this 64 we have from the rear....pop
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

popscomet wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:50 pm
under what conditions did you tear up the rear gear??? high rpm clutch dump ? on the street or on a sticky track....there has to be a reason to strip all but 4 teeth off a ring gear,,,,pop
High RPM clutch dump, wheel spin, and sudden traction = broken parts.
'64 Cyclone

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 pm
popscomet wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:50 pm
High RPM clutch dump, wheel spin, and sudden traction = broken parts.
just what I thought...your fault....thank you POP
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

When I was beginning to build my road race 64 Falcon I asked Roy the “California Caliente” 8 or 9?
He told me the story on the 8” he destroyed on the track. About 500hp small block wound up high and launched. Tore the pinion gear out of the front of the housing. Afterwards a track worker brought him his drive shaft with the pinion housing and gear still attached to it :lol:
He admitted it was his fault on that one and he had high confidence in the 8”. In fact him and his buddies passed around an 8” 4.10 chunk for years. He said it had hundreds of hard launches on it and was still alive in his buddies car.
I run an 8” him and I built with a Motive gear set and a Eaton Tru-Trac diff. It has the extra webbing housing Pop referred to and sits in the stock axle housing with stock 28 spline axles. Not sure what kinda HP my 302 is pushing (325ish?) but once it’s all dialed in I’m gonna strangle that motor and rev it high and abuse the rear end with confidence.

Side note- as you recall Ford made the 9” rear and 4 speed trans mandatory on the 289 Hipo engine that “only” made 271hp. A little safety margin I presume for the abuse they knew would be inflicted upon those cars.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- Road Race project. 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

like I have said.....A MAN CAN TEAR UP AN ANVIL..IF HE TRIES HARD ENOUGH.....just because some can hold it between the lines,,,doesn't mean they are a driver....if you get my drift...and again nothing against anyone personaly,,,this is JMO........CLINT EASTWOOD says a man has to know his limits,,,that goes for a driver to know the limits of his car..anyone can tear up his car,,but the good driver can run the soup out of it and take it to it's limits,,,and not tear it up....and I speak of me and this ol red comet of mine,,this poor thing has been drove hard but I never have believed in high rpm clutch drops ,,thats too hard on factory parts...always falls back to the ANVIL thing....pouring down rain and POP can't sleep...HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:26 am
When I was beginning to build my road race 64 Falcon I asked Roy the “California Caliente” 8 or 9?
He told me the story on the 8” he destroyed on the track. About 500hp small block wound up high and launched. Tore the pinion gear out of the front of the housing. Afterwards a track worker brought him his drive shaft with the pinion housing and gear still attached to it :lol:
He admitted it was his fault on that one and he had high confidence in the 8”. In fact him and his buddies passed around an 8” 4.10 chunk for years. He said it had hundreds of hard launches on it and was still alive in his buddies car.
I run an 8” him and I built with a Motive gear set and a Eaton Tru-Trac diff. It has the extra webbing housing Pop referred to and sits in the stock axle housing with stock 28 spline axles. Not sure what kinda HP my 302 is pushing (325ish?) but once it’s all dialed in I’m gonna strangle that motor and rev it high and abuse the rear end with confidence.

Side note- as you recall Ford made the 9” rear and 4 speed trans mandatory on the 289 Hipo engine that “only” made 271hp. A little safety margin I presume for the abuse they knew would be inflicted upon those cars.
I haven't had my engine on a dyno, but I'm presuming it makes close to 325 hp as well. I'm running what appears to be a 4.10 traction lock myself in my 8 inch unit. The 289 is holding a flat torque curve past 4500 rpm and that's where I shift it on the street. Chirps tires in all gears with a quick shift. It's a street car and I don't want to tear it up because I don't own a goldmine. :D

As per your side note- using the 100% design safety factor, I'm guessing a new stock 8 inch unit is good for 450 hp on street tires, considering it was installed in the A code cars making 225 hp. Back in the 70s, I had a friend with a K code '65 Mustang that tried to blow it up. He never succeeded, so he parked it and bought a 289 '67 Cougar and dropped in a hot 4V Cleveland with the Toploader and 8 inch chunk. He dumped the clutch racing my brother and broke the u-bolts off the axle housing but never destroyed the chunk.

Happy New Year!

JT

1963 Custom Hardtop

HIPOComet

Post by HIPOComet »

"Torn up" an 8-inch rear in a '65 Mustang. Stock 289-4bbl, 4-speed, 3:00 gears. Wasn't the case or axles, but broke some teeth off the ring gear! Yes it had lube oil in it cause pieces of metal came flushing out when we broke the center-section from the housing. Heard from local Ford "racers" some early ring gears were "softer", but hearsay. I used a '59 Galaxie station-wagon 9"-rear in a '65 fastback with a LeMans cammed 289, 4-speed and stock Ford 3:56 gears. With a 50-lb. Weber flywheel it launched "hard", but the damage was a crushed pair of spring perches! Trouble started after I did a bunch of work to get the car to hook-up and it did!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we have one of those LaMan cams,,,had for yrs ,ain't ran it in yrs,,,pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

popscomet wrote:
I broke a few teeth off of a ring gear years ago. It was on my slightly modified 351W. I bought the pumpkin used so I didn't know its history and previous use. It had a Richmond ring and pinion in it. Called Richmond and they warranteed it and sent me a replacement. Then just a few years ago, I broke a drivers side axle on my 8". It was a stock original 28 spline axle. It had seen 3 decades of use at the track before it snapped. Granted my 351W only ran mid 13's then eventually got to the high 12's. So I didn't have a lot of horsepower to break anything. But 3 decades with slicks or street slicks the axle finally had enough. I replaced them with aftermarket axle and that is what is in the 390 car now.