Front steering linkage for 66 Mustang (SOLD)!

Private parties ONLY, no commecial items please!
Caveman49

Front steering linkage for 66 Mustang (SOLD)!

Post by Caveman49 »

I’ve some steering linkage that is for 65, 66 Mustangs (manual steering), may fit some Comets, not sure. Center link, tie rods are new, pitman and idler arms are used but in very good condition.

I’m thinking $100 plus shipping.
Last edited by Caveman49 on Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor Safe,
Lee

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Front steering linkage for 66 Mustang

Post by A/FX »

Caveman49 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:23 pm
I’ve some steering linkage that is for 65, 66 Mustangs (manual steering), may fit some Comets, not sure. Center link, tie rods are new, pitman and idler arms are used but in very good condition.

I’m thinking $100 plus shipping.
I believe it is too wide for a ‘64 or ‘65 Comet/Falcon.
Here is stock ‘64 and ‘65 Comet:
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea center link is too wide for comets 65 & older,not sure about later comets. but the rest of it would still be a great deal at that price to someone with an early comet looking to do the 65 upgrade.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:58 pm
Yea center link is too wide for comets 65 & older,not sure about later comets. but the rest of it would still be a great deal at that price to someone with an early comet looking to do the 65 upgrade.
The sector shaft size may be different, they were either 1” or 1 1/8”.
I had to use a ‘68 Cougar pitman arm on my Comet, it was the only part with the correct size splined hole and shape.
Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Yeah I’m not sure of the Comet measurements, this one is real close to 48” as you see it in the pic. I just want to help someone who might be able to use it, I’ve sold all my Mustang stuff and found this stashed in my shop. Figured there might be someone here who has a 65 or 66 Mustang who could use it.
In any case, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Caveman49

Re: Front steering linkage for 66 Mustang (SOLD)!

Post by Caveman49 »

SOLD!
Motor Safe,
Lee

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:06 pm
I had to use a ‘68 Cougar pitman arm on my Comet, it was the only part with the correct size splined hole and shape.
Jim
Hi A/FX.
In which cases would we use a 68 cougar pitman arm?
I'm currently switching my 65 from 6 cyl stuff (manual steering) to V8 (manual steering) parts, and the pitman arm is one that i'm not quite able to get a good reference to. They all say power-steering or don't say at all.

Any help appreciated.
gary

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

iglooman wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:27 pm
A/FX wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:06 pm
Jim
Hi A/FX.
In which cases would we use a 68 cougar pitman arm?
I'm currently switching my 65 from 6 cyl stuff (manual steering) to V8 (manual steering) parts, and the pitman arm is one that i'm not quite able to get a good reference to. They all say power-steering or don't say at all.

Any help appreciated.

gary
Gary,
My application probably was unique, I am not familiar with six cylinder components so what I did may or may not help you. My car is an’64 which is different compared to a ‘65, I am using aftermarket spindles to match the strut suspension that I have.
https://www.gatewaymustang.com/shop/sup ... ension-car
I am using a ‘65 V8 center link and idler arm assembly, my steering box is ‘67 Cougar as is the tilt steering column. I had to use the ‘68 Cougar pitman arm to mate up the center link to the steering box, the pitman arm itself is not common, I found a used one in California. ( it has a splined hole on one end and a taper hole on the other so there is nothing to wear out) I shortened the steering column to fit the car and mated it to the steering box with a Borgeson universal joint. It took some parts researching to find out what parts would work, I also had to do some machining and welding but that was related to installing the tilt column.
You will need to confirm the sector shaft size and spline on the steering box you plan to use then use a ‘65 V8 center link, the pitman arm will need to match the center link and sector shaft size. When you figure out the sector shaft diameter post it, I might have a pitman arm in my parts bin that might work.
Jim