Wanted: 64/65 289 Accelerator Linkage (Bracket)

If you need something, post it here
kevinshi

Wanted: 64/65 289 Accelerator Linkage (Bracket)

Post by kevinshi »

Hey folks -

I am in need of the accelerator linkage for my 1965 Comet with 289 engine. MPC numbers this C4DZ-9725-C so it seems this is the same assembly used on 1964-65 Falcon and Comet.

My linkage assembly is actually in fine condition however the bracket that holds it to the firewall is busted. So I'd be happy to source the bracket alone... and I guess it is conceivable this same bracket was used on even more cars (but with different linkage rods).

In addition any leads on the actual part, I would also greatly appreciate information: I *think* my linkage is stock however my carburetor is not original... so its possible my linkage is some kind of Frankenstein. I am including a picture of mine in this post. I would really appreciate anyone out their that has a 64/65 289 looking under their hood and telling me whether their bracket is the same as mine (three screws into the firewall). I think you can see this pretty clearly w/out even removing the air filter.

Thanks!
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

comethead

Re: Wanted: 64/65 289 Accelerator Linkage (Bracket)

Post by comethead »

Yup that’s the stock bracket. Did it break at the spot weld that holds the support tube to the firewall bracket? That’s where mine broke.
If you don’t find a replacement it can be re-welded.
Also, that’s 64-65 V8 Comet Falcon only. All other vehicles are different.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

comethead wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:32 am
Yup that’s the stock bracket.
Super, glad to have that confirmed, thanks!
comethead wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:32 am
Did it break at the spot weld that holds the support tube to the firewall bracket? That’s where mine broke. If you don’t find a replacement it can be re-welded.
You called it. Mine has already been spot welded once before (see pics). It was a crummy repair job but my welding skills probably won't generate a much better result... so at this pont I would sure rather source a take-off than hacking a hack.

If I do attempt (re-)repair... do you have advice or tips based on your experience? I am thinking I may try to reinforce the tube/bracket connection from the bottom. E.g. maybe tack in a short peice of ~1/4" solid tubing.

Any idea how this was originally assembled? It looks to me like that tube can not pass either of the bends on the rod. Is there actually two rods that marry inside the tube? Or perhaps the tube was put into position before the rod was bent/formed? If I find a take-off I am going to have to get the entire assembly (and not just the bracket), eh?

Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

comethead

Post by comethead »

I had a spare so I haven’t gotten around to repairing my original one.
I was going to grind off all the old welds to make it clean. Straighten the bracket and tack it back together. I think adding some sort of reinforcement is a good idea. And somehow forcing some grease in there so it moves smoothly.
It looks like the tube was formed around the bellcrank and then welded to the bracket.
You probably won’t find just the bracket. The ones I’ve seen on eBay are complete assemblies.
You may want to post a wanted ad over on TFFN as well since the part is common to 64-65 Falcons too.

Good luck!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed