Cast iron exhaust manifolds

If you need something, post it here
DesertRat

Cast iron exhaust manifolds

Post by DesertRat »

My 65 A code Comet has long tube headers. I would like to install factory correct exhaust manifolds on it and lose the headers. Any idea where I could buy them?
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

poboyjo65

Re: Cast iron exhaust manifolds

Post by poboyjo65 »

factory correct would have had a cross under the engine Y-ed in to the other side single exhaust. lots of guys use a left side from a 70's maverick/comet to get dual exhaust & still have that factory look.
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 pm
factory correct would have had a cross under the engine Y-ed in to the other side single exhaust. lots of guys use a left side from a 70's maverick/comet to get dual exhaust & still have that factory look.
So I am looking for a stock right side and a 70's maverick for dual exhaust manifolds. Interesting, my 65 Comet 404 2 door post 289/C4 car had dual exhaust with cast iron manifolds when I bought it. I am guessing the exhaust shop just bent up the pipe to dual it off. Both cars manual steering. I'm guessing the clutch in the 65 cyclone has something to do with the maverick left side manifold requirement.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The problem is the steering linkage is right where the pipe needs to turn back. you might could fab something to work but most tube benders cant bend it sharp enough to go above the linkage & if you go below it'll be way low. So the mav one makes it easier. & if you have a stock clutch set up the z bar will interfere with the mav manifold. Comethead did this swap. I think he used a hipo stang z bar. maybe he'll chime in & tell you which one.

Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

I used the Maverick left side manifold and 65 Mustang Hipo zbar which has the lower leg all the way inboard. Gave me enough room to get the exhaust pipe through there. Still tight though.
Mustang engine compartments are wider than the Comets so I had to cut off a small piece from the inner end of the zbar tube.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

There some pics of the zbars in this old thread https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 1&start=30

So it wasn’t so much where the lower leg is located but the shape of the lower leg.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

comethead wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:15 am
There some pics of the zbars in this old thread https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 1&start=30

So it wasn’t so much where the lower leg is located but the shape of the lower leg.

Joe
Joe: Thanks for the help. I will read all your information on the change. The PO installed these long-tube headers on my car and I think it has the stock clutch/throwout linkage. I kind of like the headers, they are coated and all. I have heartburn about whoever installed them cut the shock tower supports to get them in. I haven't identified the headers yet but I know I have to pull the motor to repair the structural damage so I think the change would be prudent. Question------Am I to assume that all 65 Cyclones with the A code motor left the line with single exhaust? What about the K-code cars, how were they set up? Thanks in advance!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yes even the hipos had single exhaust. there was not a k code for 65 comet hipos & in 64 K code meant the 210 horse 4bbl motor,not hipo.

Cutting the shock towers is a popular upgrade for better spark plug access & other things ,but it sounds like he did a hack job ,did he weld plates back in to fill the holes?
this is how it should be done;
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... ock+towers
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 pm
Yes even the hipos had single exhaust. there was not a k code for 65 comet hipos & in 64 K code meant the 210 horse 4bbl motor,not hipo.

Cutting the shock towers is a popular upgrade for better spark plug access & other things ,but it sounds like he did a hack job ,did he weld plates back in to fill the holes?
this is how it should be done;
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... ock+towers
That's interesting. Yes I will have to repair the hack job. Thinking about a coilover conversion and tower mods at the same time.
The single exhaust thing was used by Ma Mopar as well. My 67 A body Barracuda notch came in the commando version-solid lifter 4V forged crank @ 225 HP single exhaust from the factory. Mine is now a dual exhaust car and the Comet will be as well--------Thanks--------------

caliente289

Post by caliente289 »

STILL NEED MANIFOLDS?

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

caliente289 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:59 am
STILL NEED MANIFOLDS?
Yes I would like to lose these headers.

caliente289

Post by caliente289 »

OK, give me a call . FIve four zero. six 9 five zero zero 6 two.
Thanks.
Leave message