2021 Comet Gathering in Pigeon Forge TN

Activities Sponsored by Comet Forum Members
lavron
Site Admin

2021 Comet Gathering in Pigeon Forge TN

Post by lavron »

Just spoke to Kevin and got confirmation that the Comet Gathering 2021 will be June 4-6.

If someone can post the contact info for the Motel that would be great, otherwise I will dig it out and post it later.

Lord willing and the creek don't rise I will be there with my Comet this year, not sure if my wife is coming or not, she wants me to talk my uncle into coming with me instead because I am intending (right now) to trailer the Comet and that makes her nervous :P I may have to pull it off the trailer and drive it up the mountains :roll: surely the truck will pull it up them, it just might be slow, could be scarier coming back down but I can usually stop the truck with just the trailer brakes.

Looking forward to seeing everybody and meeting some new folks as well (or meeting some in person the first time)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Groover

Re: 2021 Comet Gathering in Pigeon Forge TN

Post by Groover »

lavron wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:42 pm
Lord willing and the creek don't rise I will be there with my Comet this year
Careful there, Mike. That's exactly what I posted in a quote last new year about the gathering... and that didn't work out so well ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Groover wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:22 pm
lavron wrote:
Lord willing and the creek don't rise I will be there with my Comet this year
Careful there, Mike. That's exactly what I posted in a quote last new year about the gathering... and that didn't work out so well ;)
the LORD WASN'T WILLING,,,,,HE TOLD POP TO stay at home,,POP has learned to listen to that voice in the back of my little brain....and the dreams that wakes me up in the middle of the night....I call it faith....pop......jmo
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I would love to drive up and meet yous guys in the Smokies but that's 700 miles for me. My back can't handle 12 hours on the road right now, maybe later. No Comet because I'm not up to changing the chunk for cruising. Patsy is looking forward to a trip to the Rockies after the thaw and I've made my promise on that, bad back and all.

I AM DEFINATELY planning to drive up to watch Old Rusty run, Pop! That's only 5 hours for me. Just about the time I get burned out driving. Good Lord willing, of course.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JOE,you gotta do what you gotta do...we'd love to have ya come spend the day at the track with us,,,we ain't perfessionals but we enjoy beatin on this old ford....but we don't beat hard to tear it up......pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 pm
I AM DEFINATELY planning to drive up to watch Old Rusty run, Pop! That's only 5 hours for me. Just about the time I get burned out driving. Good Lord willing, of course.
Well maybe I can drive down as well, not sure how far that is for me but I haven't been to drag in years (not since we moved up here, too far to go just for races but if I went south it would be more to see folks than watch races) maybe Pops would let me be a pit crew member, I could maybe wash bugs off the windshield :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:
I am intending (right now) to trailer the Comet and that makes her nervous :P I may have to pull it off the trailer and drive it up the mountains :roll: surely the truck will pull it up them, it just might be slow, could be scarier coming back down but I can usually stop the truck with just the trailer brakes.
You can do it. I trailer mine every year (except last year, and the year the trailer suspension screwed up five miles after leaving the house :roll: ). I pull it with a 2006 5.3L GMC pickup, no problem, and Saluda Grade on I-26 in NC is a booger. The only white knuckle parts for me are the two long, curving tunnels in both directions on I-40 that you can't see the end of for the first 30 seconds after you enter them. :shock: And there's usually some idiot that passes me in the inside lane about half way through. :x

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

there won't be much work done on it in the pits,,we do our homework before it goes,,,anything much more then a plug wire fall off,,it goes back on the trailer,,same way with our dirt cars,,,,we don't work on them in the pits....work on them at home the more to come the better it will be.....they make the best back yard hamburgers,,,you can watch them grill it.....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Anyone have a route around Nashville? my least favorite part of the trip is going through there and I always seem to hit it at rush hour :roll: I don't mind a little longer route as long as it doesn't add too much time to my approx. 12-hour drive.
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:56 pm
I pull it with a 2006 5.3L GMC pickup, no problem
That is almost a challenge for my 2006 Ford 5.4L :P but you may need to spot me a few points because I am coming from further away :roll: that is unless I talk my uncle into coming with me and him volunteering to drive his newer Dodge pickup (he pulls a big bass boat all over and I bet it outweighs my Comet) my wife won't let me solo the trip and she would rather have him come with me than her in case of trouble.
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:56 pm
The only white knuckle parts for me are the two long, curving tunnels in both directions on I-40 that you can't see the end of for the first 30 seconds after you enter them.
Well, I have a silly bridge phobia so crossing the Mississippi River is always a white knuckle affair for me, 100% of the time I meet at least one tractor-trailer coming the other way on that narrow bridge :roll: the worse one I ever had to deal with was the causeway going over to Galveston Island in TX (not sure why they call it that except it has fewer posts holding it :shock: ), my wife may have driven across that one and I just closed my eyes until we were over :P at least one way. :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

If POP can pull his comet to PF with a 94 f150 a couple of times with a 302 under the hood...anything can pull one....
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

Mike,

Drop down to Sikeston on 55, then over to Paducah, KY and take I-24 into Nashville. On the north side, take Briley parkway (155) around to the NE and get on I-40 on the East side of town. Bada Bing, Bada Boom.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

loman

Post by loman »

Groover wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:00 pm
Mike,

Drop down to Sikeston on 55, then over to Paducah, KY and take I-24 into Nashville. On the north side, take Briley parkway (155) around to the NE and get on I-40 on the East side of town. Bada Bing, Bada Boom.
Mike,

Do what Groover suggested around Nashville, take the Briley parkway. You avoid the Nashville downtown mess and I believe it is 2 or 3 lanes so it is easy driving. That's the route I took the last time I went and I was happy that I did.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

loman wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:42 pm
Groover wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:00 pm
Mike,

Mike,

Do what Groover suggested around Nashville, take the Briley parkway. You avoid the Nashville downtown mess and I believe it is 2 or 3 lanes so it is easy driving. That's the route I took the last time I went and I was happy that I did.
RC mike blew in from west coast,stopped off for coffee down on lower broad during CMA week I think ,he was a little late getting to pf!!
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thanks Groover I will Google that route and see how it looks

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

duncanjl

Post by duncanjl »

Unless those cars are a lot different than mine shouldn’t be any problem hauling on trailer I’m like pop pulled mine with my 94 F150 the only time it was trailered to THE GATHERING this year May have Pat drive one me the other but refused less plan to be there C U THEREN P/F ROLL COMETS J L