61 4dr, 144 engine, can i run without radiator......

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
61 Waycrosscomet

61 4dr, 144 engine, can i run without radiator......

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

Hi All, got a 61 4dr, 144 engine, auto trans. stripping as much I can before taking to blaster and getting primed. Was told I could remove the radiator and heater box if I am not running the engine long. Just need to pull out or garage, then up onto trailer, then from trailer into blasters blasting booth.
Wanted ya'lls thoughts and tips. Thanks.

SASSY

Re: 61 4dr, 144 engine, can i run without radiator......

Post by SASSY »

If you could connect the rad hoses so the motor could circulate water would be much better but yes I have run a motor for a very short time like 20-30 seconds with no prob.
But, I've also seen engines run for bloody ever in demo debys with the rad punched out,, lol.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

power band

Re: 61 4dr, 144 engine, can i run without radiator......

Post by power band »

... as mentioned connecting rad hoses to circulate would be better but as long as you can limit the running time to get it on and off transport you should be OK . Might puke a little coolant though .

reasonable running and stopping condition is presumed to move w/o coolant. Curious how engine is protected from blaster ?

PICS appreciated ! - Big Fin Comets' are last of MEL signature JET AGE styling cues - too cool ...
... Fins, Fender Gunsights and Tube Radio ..

Image . . Image . Image

BTW = like the 144, my '61 is also a Ford Small Block SIX:
Image. Image

hav e fun