Hard brake pedal

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
CometNewbie
Comet Central Member

Hard brake pedal

Post by CometNewbie »

Long time reader, first time asker. My son and I have been playing with a 64 404 with an inline 6 and manual brakes. Anyway we got the car, the brakes were locked up. So, we changed all the springs and pads on the drum brakes, changed all of the wheel cylinders, changed out the master cylinder, changed the front brake lines and then added fluid and bled the brakes. We used parts that were in the trunk of the car. Now, when we hit the brakes, everything stops, but it feels like the fluid is not coming back to the master cylinder because the pedal starts to get really hard. It's to the point where there is no movement anymore. If you crack the bleeder valve, release some pressure and close it again, the pedal will move but will then get rigid again.

We did notice that in the wheel cylinders, we have 2 different size bleeder valves. So I'm wondering if that has anything to do with whats going on. I read a little bit about different bore sizes between the master cylinder and the wheel cylinders and I'm wondering if that may be the issue.

What do you think fellas?

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Hard brake pedal

Post by lavron »

Is it a single bowl master cylinder? It could be a collapsed soft line like the one that goes from the body down to the rear diff.

I can't really say for sure but I had the same issue with my '64, I couldn't even push the pedal at all, my solution is to stop driving the car for 20 years :roll: then completely rebuild the system from the ground up with 4 wheel disc brakes and dual master, hopefully that will stop the Comet. Probably not the solution you need :P

I am pretty sure my soft lines were all shot because I replaced everything as well 20 years ago except the flexible brakes lines.

Someone else will come along with the correct solution shortly.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

CometNewbie
Comet Central Member

Post by CometNewbie »

Yes to a single bowl master and I'm beginning to think you made the right choice....except for the 20 year part :D

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Did you get this worked out? Happy with my brake system now, I agree waiting 20 years to fix it was a bit extreme :lol: and maybe when I did replace the brakes I went a bit overboard but hopefully I will not see any more issues with brakes while driving over the mountains down route66 one day
see Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058