200 engine wont start...HELP

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
joswald

200 engine wont start...HELP

Post by joswald »

OK I need your help. I have a 1964 Comet 202 with a 200 c.i. and 1 barrel carb. The following items are new. Gas tank, sending unit, fuel pump, spark plugs, wires, points and condenser, coil and carburetor. Here's the problem, it wont start. I turn the key and the engine turns over very well. You can see the gas squirt in the bowl. It cranks but it wont start. Now it has about three gallons of fresh gas. My first try at starting it did try to run but it stumbled and quit. I'm sure I flooded the carb. I have plans of taking my car to Carlisle this weekend so I'm pressed for time. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Stay dirty.

poboyjo65

Re: 200 engine wont start...HELP

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you suspect it's flooded hold the gas pedal on the floor until it cranks,dont let up on the gas pedal in between trys. dont try to start it more than 6-8 seconds at a time & wait a few seconds until you try it again- but dont let up on the pedal just keep it held to the floor ,or it will give it another squirt when you floor it the next time. but when it cranks hold it floored until it revs high then let up & rev it a few times to clear it all out. if it is flooded this is the way to start & clear it.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Are you positive the plug wires are in the proper places and order? Also, make sure you are getting good fire from the coil and recheck your timing.

Just suggestions I am sure you have done all that already but just making sure, fuel, air, and fire is all you need but they have to be at the right time.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

are you sure the point gap I correct????? about coil wired correct????….even with crossed plug wires,,,it ought to hit and back fire thru carb or exhaust,,,,do you have enuff timing for it to start or try ???? if you think it's flooded ..take plugs out and spin it over and blow the fuel out of cyl's,,then check to make sure plug are fireing ////POP
pop/glenda

joswald

Post by joswald »

poboyjo65 was the closest. The carb was flooded but not for the reason I thought. The float had a pin hole in it which weighed it down artificially. My son correctly guessed it. I thought it was electrical. You all had great answers. As usually this forum came to my rescue. Everyone here is very helpful.