Oil change?

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
lavron
Site Admin

Oil change?

Post by lavron »

I was wondering if I should go ahead and change the oil in the Comet? It has break-in oil I used for the cam, and I know it has that Fram filter on there currently. I have some Motorcraft filters waiting in th wings to take over but was wondering what the next fill should be? More break-in oil or regular oil, maybe synt blend with a break-in additive? Any suggestions welcome.remember it holds 10 quarts so need to not change too many times in a row :lol:
See Ya,
Mike
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Re: Oil change?

Post by Joe Travers »

If it's a flat-tappet cam, I would use a high-zinc oil. Most use Rotella diesel oil which is around 1100 ppm. I personally use Lucas Hot Rod and Classic Car which is 2000 ppm. It may be overkill but I would rather use an oil with the additives used when the engines were designed. Current oils don't use much zinc because it was reformulated due to clogging catalytic converters causing expensive premature failures. Zinc leaves a protective coating on metal-to-metal engine parts and fights corrosion in engines that don't see a lot of use and fights condensation, as well.

Mind you, camshaft and valvetrain failures were reported quite often shortly after reformulation but these were in racing engines under sustained loads at high rpm operation. Plenty of folks run modern blends with no trouble at all but when I spotted some corrosion on a rocker arm during last valve adjustment, I switched over for corrosion protection. I'm putting more miles on the car this past year than the last owners in the previous 4 years so it may not become a recurring problem. YMMV

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

My engine builder recommended I use Valvoline VR1 in the Boss engine, I have a roller hydraulic cam. Its not an inexpensive oil but it can be bought in five quart containers for a better price. (Summit)
For older engines like my ‘75 Honda GL1000 I use Shell Rotella as Joe mentioned.
The more modern vehicles in the stable ger Mobil 1.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pretty sure I ran Shell Rotella Diesel 10-40(sponsored) in my
late model stock car 289, '84 - '88 no oil related problems. As I recall 4500-6500rpm all day.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:27 am
Zinc leaves a protective coating on metal-to-metal engine parts and fights corrosion in engines that don't see a lot of use and fights condensation, as well.
Please excuse the redundancy.
Corrosion is caused by condensation. Had a Hunter Thompson moment there :shock: :lol:
I think I'm going to go with Rotella next oil change myself. It's locally available. No one in town carries Lucas Hot Rod and it's probably not necessary (although I like Lucas products).

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:33 am
Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:27 am
Zinc leaves a protective coating on metal-to-metal engine parts and fights corrosion in engines that don't see a lot of use and fights condensation, as well.
Please excuse the redundancy.
Corrosion is caused by condensation. Had a Hunter Thompson moment there :shock: :lol:
I think I'm going to go with Rotella next oil change myself. It's locally available. No one in town carries Lucas Hot Rod and it's probably not necessary (although I like Lucas products).

Joe
Lucas is a local boy here
I may try the Rotella diesel oil as well, did not wait all this time and spend what I have on machine work not to protect it when done guess caution over folly. And I like getting good advice from folks on here, I guess besides expense there is no reason not to keep the oil changed in a new motor build, maybe oil is cheaper in 5 gallon buckets :lol:
Thanks all for advice.
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:31 pm
I may try the Rotella diesel oil as well, did not wait all this time and spend what I have on machine work not to protect it when done guess caution over folly
I only burn Shell 93 octane Nitro+ fuel in my Comet. Might as well go in full with Shell. Good product.
Might put a sticker in the quarter glass window.... :mrgreen:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:16 pm
lavron wrote:
I may try the Rotella diesel oil as well, did not wait all this time and spend what I have on machine work not to protect it when done guess caution over folly
I only burn Shell 93 octane Nitro+ fuel in my Comet. Might as well go in full with Shell. Good product.

Joe
I get ethanol free premium gas from a local station, the only thing I run in my tractors and mowers,and is what’s in the Comet now,ethanol has caused me too much grief already. My wife was telling me she was glad she filled the gas cans recently, so I had to ask where? Just regular pump gas,we had to have a talk after that :lol:
I need to start looking for some vintage stickers for my car hoping to find Autolite plugs,now Shell,and Motorcraft possibly.
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:30 pm
I need to start looking for some vintage stickers for my car hoping to find Autolite plugs,now Shell,and Motorcraft possibly.
Nostalgic Racing Decals is the place to go for period correct ones. The only way I would possibly consider them is if I did a period correct S/S drag make-over. I don't see that happening with my '63. Too many creature comforts in the car for this old greybeard to enjoy. :)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
lavron wrote:

Joe
I get ethanol free premium gas from a local station, the only thing I run in my tractors and mowers,and is what’s in the Comet now,ethanol has caused me too much grief already. My wife was telling me she was glad she filled the gas cans recently, so I had to ask where? Just regular pump gas,we had to have a talk after that :lol: searched my local Reilly’s websitefor diesel oil Rottella, and it keeps showing me Motorcraft diesel synthetic blend 10W-40oil,better deal with5 quart jugs at $29 each I would need just 2 jugs to fill the crankcase, anyone know if the Motorcraft is good oil?I would think Motorcraft name should be trusted and it is Ford :lol:
Checking my lo
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

lavron wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:38 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
lavron wrote:

Joe
I get ethanol free premium gas from a local station, the only thing I run in my tractors and mowers,and is what’s in the Comet now,ethanol has caused me too much grief already. My wife was telling me she was glad she filled the gas cans recently, so I had to ask where? Just regular pump gas,we had to have a talk after that :lol: searched my local Reilly’s websitefor diesel oil Rottella, and it keeps showing me Motorcraft diesel synthetic blend 10W-40oil,better deal with5 quart jugs at $29 each I would need just 2 jugs to fill the crankcase, anyone know if the Motorcraft is good oil?I would think Motorcraft name should be trusted and it is Ford :lol:
Checking my lo
See Ya,
Mike
Motorcraft diesel oil is 0100ppmas well,so that is what I will get,still $60 a change,but
I can change my oil all working from above except for shoving the drain pan under there, I just have to drain both the front and rear of the pan
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

lavron wrote:
Joe Travers wrote:
lavron wrote:

Joe
Checking my lo
See Ya,
Mike
Motorcraft diesel oil is 0100ppmas well,so that is what I will get,still $60 a change,but
I can change my oil all working from above except for shoving the drain pan under there, I just have to drain both the front and rear of the pan
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

lavron wrote:
Joe Travers wrote:
lavron wrote:

Joe
I get ethanol free premium gas from a local station, the only thing I run in my tractors and mowers,and is what’s in the Comet now,ethanol has caused me too much grief already. My wife was telling me she was glad she filled the gas cans recently, so I had to ask where? Just regular pump gas,we had to have a talk after that :lol: searched my local Reilly’s websitefor diesel oil Rottella, and it keeps showing me Motorcraft diesel synthetic blend 10W-40oil,better deal with5 quart jugs at $29 each I would need just 2 jugs to fill the crankcase, anyone know if the

Hopefully I don’t repeat something here,but this is about the third time typing this,My internet keeps disconnecting right as I try to submit post and loosing what I had typed :oops: :oops: Motorcraft diesel oil is 1000ppm as well BTW.
Mike's build thread