OCTANE BOOST

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
joswald

OCTANE BOOST

Post by joswald »

Hello everyone. My question pertains to octane boost for our fuel. I have a '64 Comet with a 200c.i. AT. The engine is bone stock. Should I consider any kind of fuel additive?

Joe Travers

Re: OCTANE BOOST

Post by Joe Travers »

Stock static compression ratio is 8.7:1.
I would run 87 octane. If the engine pings, back off the ignition timing by a couple degrees.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

power band

Re: OCTANE BOOST

Post by power band »

With per-emission '64, you should be OK with typical 87 octane regular -IF - your engine is in reasonably good tune. IF you have 'pinging' under load, the suggestion of retarding timing a few degrees should help.

IF available in your area, Non Methanol (Alcohol) gasoline is a definite good idea with any car not built to withstand the solvent effects of the Methanol on fuel system components.

Any older rubber type fuel line parts may dissolve internally leading to carb flooding from particulates. Early Holley carbs with front mounted fuel bowls are hard to keep sealed with original cork and rubber gaskets, the alcohol eats the rubber and cork in a fairly short time in my experience.

I live in an agricultural area and the non-alc' gas is available but costs @ 25% more money -It is 91 octane and supposedly more BTU's per gallon w/o the alc'.

I would recommend a ZDDP oil supplement and Diesel HD oil that has some Zinc still with oil changes...(Rotella etc)

have fun

Image . Image . Image