GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
MY63COMET

GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS

Post by MY63COMET »

OK Folks,
Some updates.... I took Mrs. Pickles in for a good tune-up, carb adjust (if needed), a trans flush /service/new pan gasket, oil change/new pan gasket, and new front and rear shocks. I was hoping to gain more power from the tuneup and fortunately I DID!!! The mechanic is well versed in older Fords, mostly early mustangs. When I dropped it off with my tuneup parts he said " it's probably the vacuum advance".
Two things were holding Mrs. Pickles back on climbing even small hills. He said it was the vacuum advance and the timing was off. He said the points were like new and didn't even use them. Its does have new plugs, wires, rotor, and distributor cap now.
It's definetly no tire burner, but I can gladly tell the difference in extra power now.
So, that's the GOOD NEWS.
Now for the BAD NEWS..... it has a bit of an exhaust leak. There is a small crack in the exhaust manifold. *See photos..
Is a small crack like this fixable or would you recommend a new exhaust manifold?
Are new exhaust manifolds available, or do I need to locate a used one?
I'm just looking to stick with a stock exhaust right now, no header conversions.
Thanks again for any input.

Doug
(Mrs. Pickles caregiver)

FuzzyDriver

Re: GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Is this a possible J-B Weld repair?
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Researched the net some, found this site about welding exhaust manifolds. Check it out, https://www.muggyweld.com/2022/08/02/manifold-repair/

There are quite a few different sites with information on the topic. I would leave it to a professional welder to weld the crack, it can be done. I’ve not tried welding exhaust manifolds, they can be tricky I guess due to the molecular makeup. I’d more then likely take a repair like that to a shop that could do it. My welding skills are minimal, and would surely bugger it up…

Good luck with it, and by the way, your ride is looking good. 👍
Motor Safe,
Lee

power band

Post by power band »

... wouldn't the crack present black exh soot marks if penetrating into the cast manifold?

if u want a fresh exh w/o header - plenty re-pops' available:

typical

https://www.npdlink.com/1965-1973-musta ... 70-200-250

hav fun

Hooker Super-Comps':

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cast is weldable but it takes knowledge which I don't have.
A guy in his 60-70s when I was in my early 20s modified a 351C exhaust manifold for me.
If I remember right he used a piece of stainless steel to fill the hole.
Im sure someone could repair your manifold.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Glad to hear you picked up some power, Doug!

^^^^^Yes, cast manifold can be welded, as previously stated but requires a knowledgeable welder.
I learned how a very long time ago but have not put that skill to use since that time.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Thanks for all of the great input. Very much appreciated.
After reading up on both methods, welding and epoxy, I’ve decided to just purchase a new manifold. The price is less than $200. I’m just afraid the old original could just crack again due to age. Kind of like me. Lol.