61 4dr. 144 cu. engine Muffler issue

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
61 Waycrosscomet

61 4dr. 144 cu. engine Muffler issue

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

So I got a new muffler from Waldrons (plus tail pipe), the original long pipe to engine was actually in good shape.

Had gotten 2 replacement OEM replacement hangers. Finally got around to installing muffler only to discover it bumps up next to gas
tank, which doesn't seem good, its as if the hangers need to drop the muffler down below gas tank level.

Yes the gas tank is a new replacement, don't remember the size. 15 gal? I think. Does someone make longer hangers? should I just take
to a muffler shop and let them install the muffler properly? Does anyone have a fix for this?

The new waldrons muffler is same size as old one.

thanks.

john.m

Jims65cyclone

Re: 61 4dr. 144 cu. engine Muffler issue

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It should be a 16 gal tank. Did you install the new tank? Was it the same shape as the original? Are the muffler inlet and outlet staggered from each other? If so, you may just need to rotate the muffler on its axis to gain clearance. If longer hangers is the solution, you should be able to buy universal hangers with longer straps at any parts store.

Jim

61 Waycrosscomet

I installed the tank about 5 years ago, pretty much same shape as old tank. The bolt holes all lined up, even the filler neck lined up
perfectly with the gas inlet neck. At the time I thought it was all good with muffler clearance, but that was because muffler and long
pipe was just sitting on the rear axle. (yes , this is my first restore job).
So when I went to use original style hangers, wow, muffler sits right against gas tank.
Not sure rotating muffler will solve this issue, but will visit it again when I put the head/exhaust manifold back on and hook up the long
pipe from manifold to muffler.
When i get car engine running, I guess I will take it to muffler shop as they have the tips and tricks, hopefully. Just would have been nice
to use original style hangers.

Groover

Post by Groover »

https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/sear ... sf=msgonly

For what it's worth. I have a 64 with 260 and I purchased original exhaust from Waldron's years back. I just reviewed my thread (link above with photos) and it looks like the muffler is also right up against the gas tank. I don't think it touches but it's very close. Never have had any problems with it. Is your concern about heat?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

61 Waycrosscomet

Yes, well 2 concerns, one is the heat, and 2, the muffler 'sits' right against the side of the gas tank. every little bounce and bump is going
to cause the muffler to wear on the side of the gas tank.
At the moment i don't have the long pipe hooked up to exhaust manifold, when i put that part together will see again how close muffler
is to gas tank.
Like I said originally I didn't know how high up the muffler was positioned when using original hangers, at the time the muffler was held
just off the back axle with a coat hanger until i could get new muffler, OEM hangers. The long pipe was reused.