61 144cid. automatic Head Bolts torque

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
61 Waycrosscomet

61 144cid. automatic Head Bolts torque

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

Almost afraid to ask, but I just reinstalled the head after it went to machine shop.
torqued head bolts according to shop manual. cold torque, 55 then 65, then 75.

the gasket (felpro) has stamped on it, "NO RETORQUE" "NO SEALANT".

After a few heat / cold cycles, is it necessary to revisit torquing the head bolts again, or should I be good to go?

thanks.

john.m

FuzzyDriver

Re: 61 144cid. automatic Head Bolts torque

Post by FuzzyDriver »

The 1964 Comet service manual says for the 6 cylinder to leave them alone.

Page 8-28, step 6:
"After the cylinder head bolts have been torqued to specification, the bolts should not be disturbed."

I doubt that the 1961 torque procedure is different from the 1964 for the same engine.
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

power band

Re: 61 144cid. automatic Head Bolts torque

Post by power band »

you should be 'good to go' without retorque. Depending on fastener / head bolt - torque rating usually is with lube on fastener or even specific lube (ARP) . OEM may require typical motor oil ?.

BTW :
" I doubt that the 1961 torque procedure is different from the 1964 for the same engine."
Small block Ford sixes OEM used a thin 'steel shim' head gasket which typically is replaced with a "modern" composite gasket. Although the sealing qualities of composite are better, there is a loss of Compression Ratio due to thickness of the composite gasket adding to the size of combustion chamber. The 4 Main Bearing small block 144 and 170 use a smaller bore and fat top pistons vs 200/250's 7 Main bearing Recessed pistons.
typical 'Valve Job" will mill head to compensate for thicker gasket or increase compression ratio.
170 in wagon has @ .070 milled off a 62cc chamber head at @ 2cc's per .010 for matched 48cc chambers and thin steel shim gasket for a static Compression Ratio @ 9.5:1 - good MPG and perky performance - on 91+ Octane ...
have fun