Sitting awhile!

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Austin Comet
Comet Central Member

Sitting awhile!

Post by Austin Comet »

Hello, just registered today. I'm so glad to find a Comet site. My first car was a 61 Comet and sold it about 10 years ago. Just bought a 60 Comet this week and have a few questions. I plan on doing a full restoration and have restored other vehicles. About the only area I'm not good with is the engine. It's been sitting for nearly two years but ran great before that. What things should I do before trying to fire it up? I plan on dropping the gas tank and cleaning it out, rebuilding the carb and changing the oil. What do I need to do to the engine before starting it up? Any tips? Thanks in advance. Great site.
Phil

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome to Comet Central Phil.

My car sat for 10 years without being started, this is what I did before firing it up;

One or two weeks before starting it I pulled all the spark plugs and squirted transmission fluid into the cylinders. Then I changed the oil and filter, dumped a bottle of fuel system drier/conditioner in the tank and added 5 gal of new gas (draining the tank is probably a better idea), I also prelubed the engine by pulling the distributor (noting it's position and rotor position) and spinning the oil pump shaft with a socket and electric drill. the last thing I did right before I started it was to pull all the spark plugs again and turn the engine over by hand (should turn freely with the plugs out) I also hooked up the battery and cranked the engine with the plugs out just to make sure everything was good and free and to pump a little gas up to the carbs. I then replaced everything primed it and fired her up.

My car started right up after 10 years, of course the carbs leak but it ran fine.

Hope that helps you some.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Austin Comet
Comet Central Member

Post by Austin Comet »

Thanks Mike, those are some great ideas. Are parts compatable with any other years? Like on my 1960 4Dr, are parts from a 61 interchangeable? The reason I ask, I need a new trunk lid but I can't locate any 60's locally but have seen other years. Thanks again.

robshrum

Re: Sitting awhile!

Post by robshrum »

60-63 fenders, hood, trunk lid are the same. Could be some emblem/trim holes are a little different. Doors are the same as well on sedans but hardtops are different ( 63 only, no hardtops made before 63) Hope this helps!