carb adjustment

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
1962custom1

carb adjustment

Post by 1962custom1 »

Just Got my Comet on the road! anyone have a way to adjust a carb 6 cyl. not my specialty at all. Misses (bucking slightly) while driving. Idles good, (slight miss) Starts right up. Ran fine till someone played with carb to "fine tune" it. No i wasnt there. Would appreciate any help.
Thanx, Mike
If I wanted it perfect, I would'nt have hired me.

popscomet

Re: carb adjustment

Post by popscomet »

I check point gap and vacumn advance,also,as far as carb adjust,----with motor warm,turn screw in while idleing,slowly)) do not over tighten,pay attention,,motor might smooth out or die ,if it dies back screw out 11/2 turns,restart and start turn screw in or out slowly ( this screw is the air jet,this is all you can adjust from out side other than choke and ideling RPM's),,,other words play with air screw in /out 'til it smooths out,1st thing I do is bump timing up just a wee bit,if vac adv has a rubber line hooked to it,while idleing ,pull hose from carb,SUCK on it ,motor will idle up,then do it again and put your tonge over end of hose,motor ought to stay at faster idle until you remove tonge from hose,then it'll return to normal idle,if it don't increase rpm's or hold it ,vac adv is bad,(probaly).If a steel line,slip a short piece of rubber hose on it Point gap will cause it to act ,like you desribe also,so check point gap............IF you have a vac gauge,,,hook it to a port on intake manifold and watch your needle while adjusting (not for point gap),you want needle to be in the green and at its highest steady reading(this method is the best for timing and for setting carbs) I probaly ain't been 15 cents worth of help to ya...but it may wake your memory up to a point where you can help your self....if not RE-POST ,help is always here from some body ..thank-you and good luck :!: :roll: pop :shock: :D
pop/glenda

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

Thanx Pop, I will Try and let you know. Mike
If I wanted it perfect, I would'nt have hired me.

1962Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

Hey Pops, I just purchased a vacuum gauge just for the purpose of adjusting my carburetor and for the life of me I can't figure out where to hook it up on the intake manifold. No visible ports as far as I can tell. All vacuum lines in the whole engine compartment are hard lines. Is there a port hiding somewhere on the manifold that I can't see? It's a 170 and there's not much to the intake manifold.

Thanks,
Dan
1962 Comet - 2-Door, 170 cu.in. with 6,950 Original Miles.
https://www.dplivingston.com/picking-up ... -62-comet/ <-- follow my 1962 Comet Restoration.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DAN,look on manifold there may be a plug,that a 3/8 open end wrench will take out,if so take it out /get a brass plug that the vac hose slips on,(hard-ware store)install in place of factory plug/afterwords put it all back.................now if no plug,unscrew line that goes down to trans mission,,,put your brass plug there....then put it back....pop :D
pop/glenda

1962Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

Pops,

Thanks, I'll get up and under the hood tonight and look closer.

Have fun in Pigeon Forge. I was there a month ago and enjoyed the area. We have been back going there every few years, but can't make it for the Comet gathering this year. There are a few nice photo ops for the cars. Mel's Diner in town is an old time diner and there's another old time diner in Sevierville as well. Several Comets lined up outside the joint would make for a great photo.

Free wine tasting at the Apple Barn Winery in Pigeon Forge as well as the Smoky Mtn Winery in Gatlinburg. If moonshine is your drink, free tasting in Gatelinburg at the Ole Smoky Moonshine.

Lots of nice scenic areas on the drive up to Klingmans Dome.

Good food at the Old Mill restaurant. a little pricey but it includes soup, salad and dessert. You'll be taking some food home.

Enjoy.
Dan
1962 Comet - 2-Door, 170 cu.in. with 6,950 Original Miles.
https://www.dplivingston.com/picking-up ... -62-comet/ <-- follow my 1962 Comet Restoration.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I looked on the white 61 comet that was at the gathering in PF,and there is a plug in the intake manifold,,pop :D
pop/glenda