HELP !!!!!

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
1962custom1

HELP !!!!!

Post by 1962custom1 »

OK> so I set my carb the way pops told me. Car ran great. been driving it around town. So i take it for a spin and all of a sudden it starts acting like its not getting gas, turn a corner and it stalls. starts but wont run missing like crazy. finally coax it home 2 blocks. Will start now but misses like crazy and wont run long. Any thoughts? any help will be great. Have full at the carb, checked points, ok. Thanx, Mike
If I wanted it perfect, I would'nt have hired me.

B_Hix

Re: HELP !!!!!

Post by B_Hix »

I'm not sure what changes were made to the carb, but if it was running fine for a while then suddenly went crazy on you... I'd try resetting the carb, or at a minimum taking it off, cleaning it, and inspecting it - while it's off crank the car over (capturing gas in a jar) and make sure your getting a good fuel supply - check the fuel filter for sure, and the fuel pump might be suspect too - if you have an electric fuel pump they can get pretty weird - def want to make sure you have a good ground and are getting proper voltage... If a manual pump it could also be debris in the tank clogging the pickup...

This is one of those things that, from where I sit, sounds like fuel or spark. Since the fuel system was recently worked on that's where I'd start - top to bottom, back to front

Good luck with it - this is the stuff that drives a car guy nutz
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MIKE,has this car been sitting up for a long time???If so trash could be in the tank,closeing off the gas line as the pump sucks it.....thats one thing,,check the short rubber line between tank and fuel line under neath car,it's on the tank))if it's soft and you can pinch it together ,,CHANGE IT,,also check the rubber line that attaches to the fuel pump......make sure the gas tank is vented,either thru a steel vent line or a vented gas cap.....pop the dist. cap and look for a naked spot in the wire going to your points,,,all this is assuming fuel pump is pumping and no trash is under needle vavle in the carb(this will cause it to flood and gas to run out side of carb)AND make sure all connections on coil are tight and what kind of shape is the coil wire from the dist cap to the coil in? each thing I just listed,I've had happen to ME,,,,IS this a high mileage engine? has it jumped time ?? hope this helps :roll: pop :shock: keep us posted :!:
pop/glenda

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

Car has sat for awhile. however it has a new tank, sending unit, fuel line. Pump is original to motor as is coil. New points dist. cap. Motor ran fine before. carb was rebuilt by a pro. New timing gears, oil pump, rebuilt head, car was running fine, with a slight hesitation or miss. now just starts and stalls. and when it does run its a horrible miss. no backfire. Havnt had a chance to dig into it except to chek point gap and wires under cap. all is good. Hope this helps describe a little better. Thanx for all the input. I really appreciate it. This has been a project for 2 years. I was really excited to have it on the street. crap happens. thanx again. Mike

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

mike,is the dist tight ? has the timing slipped,sounds like its way slow.. make sure point gap is correct,,,,Make sure fuel pump is putting out,, pour a couple of extra gallons of gas in the tank to check to see if there's a problem with the fuel pick up tube in the tank,I say this cause yrs ago while son and I was re-doing wife's 56 ford,had to re-bend new tube in order for it to run on 1/4 tank or less,,,don't give up :!: we ain't :roll: pop :shock: :lol:
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:mike,is the dist tight ? has the timing slipped,sounds like its way slow.. make sure point gap is correct,,,,Make sure fuel pump is putting out,, pour a couple of extra gallons of gas in the tank to check to see if there's a problem with the fuel pick up tube in the tank,I say this cause yrs ago while son and I was re-doing wife's 56 ford,had to re-bend new tube in order for it to run on 1/4 tank or less,,,don't give up :!: we ain't :roll: pop :shock: :lol:
One other thing,,pull the dipstick out and smell of the oil,does it smell like gas ,is it extra thin and very black ,is the oil level higher than normal on the stick....if yes to at least one ,,,don't run it any more be fore you change to a new fuel pump and dratn old oil out /replace with fresh oil and a new FILTER,this means the diaphram in the pump is leaking gas into the crank case(oil-pan),this happens when a pump sits un-used for awhile ( not always--but very often and it won't show up right away when pump is put back into service)__SO MIKE my friend ,you got some checking to do :!: good luck_we here to help----- :D :) pop
pop/glenda

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

ok. had a thought. the motor is from a 63. when i changed the gas tank i went to a 16 gallon. non vented. someone mentioned to make sure the tank was vented or a vented cap. (i was told 63 didnt need to be vented) however if this is the case, can i just take the cap off and see if it runs? going to dig into it a bit tomm. morning. Thanx guys!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SURE THING :!: :!: As you twist cap,,you might just hear the air go shoose,rushing in ,and if that lets it start and run,replace with a vented cap or drill a hole in the one you have hope this turns into a simple fix,but if not,POST IT,,,we'll sure come up with something....good luck :D pop :shock: 8) :roll:
pop/glenda

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

^^ yea, if it needs to be vented and isn't that would cause symptoms alot like what you are experiencing - bascially fuel starvation. Sure hope it something simple like that - best of luck with it and let us know what you find out!
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

ok. update. Changed coil. no diff. would not start. Changed points and condenser, cap and rotor. starts now but wont stay running unless i keep the engine high with pedal. and running real rough. Took set screw out of carb and shot carb cleaner in it. it ran and idled until it seems the cleaner burned out then back to the same. Ideas? i could use some. and i took gas cap off to vent.Thanx, Mike

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

where are ya Pop? It could be a vacumn leak, check lines & carb base gasket. you could spray wd-40 (water displacement formula # 40) around the carb base with it running to see if it idles up. I had a carb on 6 cyl. was bad to get loose, drove me crazy, the first time. it'd raise up & lose vac..
check choke is open & staying open.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP has had his own issues with a fuel pump on wife's 56 ford,BUT,the problem is history,now !NOW--MIKE--are you sure your point gap is correct and the timeing is not retarded :?: Loosen hold down bolt on dist just 'nuff to move it,get some one to start it while you rev it up and keep it from dieing with one hand while turning dist clock-or counter clock-wise with the other hand,did you put the air screw back like it was is the carb tight, you might just have a bad vacumn leak ...go back and reread all above post and double check behind your self,you may have over looked something :!: we'll get it :!: like i said before,this is kinda like calling the DOCTOR and saying..HEY DOC--I feel bad WHY :!: but OLE POP ain't desertin YA :!: I'll stay with ya ,til the maggots gag :!: :lol: :roll: :shock: pop :D
pop/glenda

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

Ok.new points rotor condenser, fuel pump, coil. Checked vacume leaks. none found. timing ok.vented tank. No difference. Carb is now out being rebuilt.
Thanx mike

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL MIKE it sounds like you may be back on the CRUSIN highway in the very near future...good luck need anything ,,just give a YELL :!: 8) :roll: :shock: pop :D
pop/glenda

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

OK folks. New coil ,cap, rotor, condenser, fuel pump, fuel filter. Rebuilt carb. Put carb on. Car started right up and purrrrred like a kitten. took it out and got it hot brought it back and adj. carb. ran like a top! So decided to go for a run. About 40 miles man it felt good. Last half mile coming home it started missing again! Starts right up and will idle now but really rough, called it a day. Any thoughts? Thanx, Mike