Electric cooling fan

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
KrAyVyN

Electric cooling fan

Post by KrAyVyN »

Hey everyone, Quick question about an electric cooling fan. It's for a 61, 200ci engine, aftermarket radiator. The rads pretty close to stock dimensions, just a little deeper in total volume, same specs on height and width, just different depth. I was wanting to mount an electric fan on grille side of radiator. Has anyone done this before? What should I run the relay to so it won't draw constant power. Any recommendations on fan to use. Could I run the remote power to my parking lamps for an on demand switch? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy travels!!
Sure I can make a mustang with flowmaster's, a Camaro with a cowl hood, or a Charger with gawdy chrome crap,

It takes a TRUE car bulder to do something noone has ever seen before

poboyjo65

Re: Electric cooling fan

Post by poboyjo65 »

You'll need to get a "pusher" fan, instead of a puller.some do both. You can buy a kit with an adjustable thermastat & have a switch. I have a flex-a-lite fan from summit on a truck.it came with the kit. you can do a manual override "on" switch or override "off" switch . the off switch is for 4x4s in water I guess. it had a temp probe that stuck in the fins of the radiator, probe went bad after sitting in a bodyshop for a year, so I got the sender that goes in the thermastat housing or rad. hose. its been good so far , 5 years. It runs at 60% normally, if it gets hotter than normal, it goes up to 100%. make sure your charging system will handle the load. each fan lists what it draws in amps & how much air it moves,cfm cubic feet per min. be cool!
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Not sure about a 61, but on my 65 when I mounted my fan on the grill side I had to eliminate the whole hood latch mechanism. I was running hood pins anyway so I just took it off.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP has a pusher with the trans cooler mounted between fan and a custom built alum rad on a 1956 ford,also have fan on motor,have a probe stuck in fins on RAD,thus thermostat controled(has own setting )is wired to a always hot wire,thus letting fan come on as needed,even after shutting off engine,while walking away from car and as the heat spikes the fan will come and go as needed to cool down rad and cooler, been on there since back in 95/96 still works good and has never gave problem.JMO,,,if you wire it to your parking lites,then you'd have to turn them on to get your fan on,,not good ,,,either wire to key swtch or put on a toggle switch under dash,with a hot wire from battary thru a fuse connection good luck on how ever you do it ,,need help ask for it POP
pop/glenda