Charging issue

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
howirolla

Charging issue

Post by howirolla »

So I seem to be having an interesting charging issue with my car. It has an alternator in it with one of the Dearborn voltage regulators that bolts to the back of the alternator. It also is still wired for the voltage regulator mounted by the radiator.

My issue is that when I bench test the alternator it tests good, puts out 14.63 volts on the high side. But soon as its in the car with or with out the remote mounted regulator plugged in it will only put out 12.31 volts, or in other words, not charging.

Far as I can tell from reading things on the Internet I shouldn't even need the remote mounted one anyway. But I can't seem to figure out why it won't charge even with it unplugged.

howirolla

Re: Charging issue

Post by howirolla »

got it figured out!

TxPowderCoater

Post by TxPowderCoater »

soooooooooo, spill the beans, what was it? share the answer and educate some folks! :D
The Art of Custom Powder Coating
www.YourPowderCoating.com
832-818-3905

howirolla

Post by howirolla »

well according to dearborn classics I needed to take it to an ASE certified mechanic and have the module tuned.....

after laughing at them, I found that the module wasn't getting the 12v switched power it needed to turn on and allow the alternator to put out a charge.