does anyone know what the ford 200 valve adjustments are?

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
dld504

does anyone know what the ford 200 valve adjustments are?

Post by dld504 »

does any one know the specs on adjusting the intake and exhaust valves?i would greatly appreciate the help

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome dld504, for a hydraulic valve engine tighen the rocker arm adjusting screw to eliminate all push rod end clearance and then add 2 1/2 turns.

For Mechanical lifters Intake - .016H, Exhaust - .016H

Hope that helps :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

dld504

Post by dld504 »

thanks a lot lavron, ill give it a try

dld504

Post by dld504 »

i adjusted them to those specs and now its making a pretty loud ticking noise when it running, what should i do? also does it make a difference if the head has been shaved down or not? cuz i had the head shaved down twice since ive had the car, bbut im not sure the exact amount

dld504

Post by dld504 »

also i have the mechanical lifters if that makes a difference

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

This is the instructions from the '63 Motors Auto Repair Manual that I have;

VALVES ADJUST: Before starting the adjustment procedure, make two chalk marks on the crankshaft pulley. Space the marks approximately 120º apart (1/3 of circumferance) so that with the timing marks the pulley is divided into 3 equal parts. Adjust valves for No. 1 cylinder. Repeat the procedure for the remaining valves, turning the crankshaft 1/3 turn in the direction of normal rotation while adjusting the valves in the firing order sequence of 153624.

Mechanical Lifters: Before the final valve lash adjustment is made, operate the engine for 30 minutes at a fast idle to stabilize engine temperatures. To set the lash accurately use only a step-type feeler gauge. For example, to obtain the correct setting if the clearance is .016", the .015" portion of the gauge ("go") should enter but the "no go" end (.017") should not enter.

Hope that helps, I have never adjusted the valves on a mechanical lifter car before so I have to depend on what the book says.

Shaving the head should have no effect on valve adjustment unless you run out of adjustment then you would have to go with longer push rods.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058