gauges

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
1962custom1

gauges

Post by 1962custom1 »

OK so spring is here and old problem still here. 63 comet 170. gas gauge and temp gauge go to the top when key is in on position. gauges check ok. any ideas out there? Any help appreciated. Mike
If I wanted it perfect, I would'nt have hired me.

popscomet

Re: gauges

Post by popscomet »

SOUNDS to me they have went to ground,,check to see what shape the strip of insulateing material behind the gauge is in where it is mounted to the cluster in the dash......or check each wire from sending unit to see if it has a naked spot.......POP
pop/glenda

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

^^ I agree with Pop - sounds like a ground all the way
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

ok. took cluster out and checked all wires. none bare. checked from tank in. none bare. checked from temp to dash none bare. all connections look fine,, could it be a bad ignition switch since all power runs thru it. ie; fuses. If so anybody remember how to pull it out. Thanx, Mike

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ON the back of the cluster,is there a small ob-long piece that has 2 wires that slip on,,it will be held on by 1 small screw,use a 1/4 or 5/16th open end wrench to remove it,1 wire will be male and the other will be female,this is called a CONSTAT voltage regulater,this small part controls voltage to your gauges,,,replace it!! it will be metal with a fiber type backing,held together with 4 tiny prongs bent over the fiber backing most often,some are crimped all around.,,the wires just slip on tightly.....be sure and let us know if and when it's fixed,,,,so we can sleep at night :lol: stuff like that has been known to keep me awake :lol: ...pop
pop/glenda

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

thanx pop! will do. and yes, sometimes i would rather change a fender than deal with these "teasers". Got it off and will order tom. any sugestion thru whom? Macs? thanx, Mike

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I've never orderd one,,the parts store that I used back when I messed with stuff like that all the time either kept those in stock or he would get me one in over night,,,,,,I took 1 of those apart once to see inside it,,,,,,it has a hair thin wire from 1 term. to the other but in the middle is woven into.... a small coil,if that don't fix it ,I'll spend some wide eyed time coming up with ? :lol: good luck,,,,POP...old fords are bad about those messing up
pop/glenda

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

pop, found one @ Macs. 24.00. cant beat that with a stick. Thanx, i will let ya know how it works. Mike

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

HAVE you got the part? are they shipping it by WAGON-TRAIN or delivering it in a GM product ??
pop/glenda

1962custom1

Post by 1962custom1 »

Got the part today! Just got finished installing it and all new dash bulbs, cause we are not taking it back apart. ALL is well!!
THANK YOU!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

GREAT thats what I wanted to hear,,,now for a good nights sleep......any more questions pop up ,be sure and let us in on them..we might be able to help :!: thank you enjoy your ride :lol: POP
pop/glenda