Hood Straightening

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Caveman49

Hood Straightening

Post by Caveman49 »

Anyone every try to straighten a slight bend in their hood? I've got a bowing on the right side, and would like to try and straighten it out before I go replacing it. Thanks for any help or feedback.

Motor Safe,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

fisher

Re: Hood Straightening

Post by fisher »

I have straightened my hood on a 65 Cyclone that was bowed on both sides. Looked like someone tried to close the hood with a 2x6 laying across the fenders. I actually purchased a second one only to find it was bowed, just not as bad. Having nothing to lose I left the orignal hood on the car and carefully placed wood blocks on the fender flange where the gap of the seam was closest and used my 250 lbs body to push and twist the wide gaps into shape. Having a second person to help might be easier. You will find that you will have to "over bend" the metal so that it springs back into the proper position. Take it slow and in graduated steps, don't try to correct all the bow in just one push or pull. Do not concentrate the push or pull in too small of an area. Be careful not to bend the fenders with the wood blocks. I also wrapped the wood blocks with some old towels in places so there were no "sharp corners". If it does not straighten to your satisfaction find another hood. I bet you won't find many out there that do not have some bow after 50 years of hood slamming.

Caveman49

Re: Hood Straightening

Post by Caveman49 »

Thanks Fisher, I'll have to see if that'll work for me, although I'm a bit lighter then you. I've got to check with my parts guy and see what he'll charge for a hood just in case I bugger this one up. Was thinking of a cyclone hood, that would look good eh!

Motor Safe,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee