Max tire size front and Rear without mini tubs

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

Max tire size front and Rear without mini tubs

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Ok guys i am leaning towards the mini tubs but still would like to know max tire size for front and rear 65 hard top without mini tubs So i can weigh my options
Last edited by Kingspeedy2 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

65clevorcyclone

Re: Max tire size front and Rear without mini tubs

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

What year and model?

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

oops I have edited my post since but that's for a 65 hard top,The spring perches will be gone as I am going with a 4 link rear

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I have 10 1/2 wide,26 diameter drag radials under my 65. Leaf springs are relocated so the wheel well is the only consideration. The car sits at about factory hight.These tires are less than 1/2 from rubbing on both sides and had to install a panhard bar to keep them centered on turns. IIRC,I had to modify or remove the axle snubbers also. It's the section width that hurts you.Careful measuring is paramount as is tire,wheel selection. My 9 inch was narrowed to work with everything I thought would work and I got lucky and things fit the first time. Find a tire that requires a 8-10 wheel and use the 8 in to keep the section width narrower.If 10 inch only,the section will likely be too wide.Fronts are also 26 and clear things pretty good but not a whole lot of extra room.
All that said,I wish I would have mini tubbed mine. It was already painted and I couldn't wrap my mind around the design to keep things OEM looking as possible.
All THAT said,my car looks pretty good as is and launches hard and straight with only leafs and slappers but you gotta slow down for the dips.

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

this is the look I am going for [img][IMG]http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag407/kingspeedy1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszsqqynpw.jpg[/img][/img]
this car has has an Art Morrison chassis so they could fir pretty much whatever they wanted
the tire sizes are 225/45/18 front (approx. 25 x9 inches) and 255/45/18 rear (approx. 27 x10 inches) I could drop down to 17 inch and they may fit.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

That car sits higher than mine.My wheels are 15's. I think you're are right with the 17's.The 18's might fit also. Get the wheel backspacing so the tire is as close to the inside of the wheelwell as possible after considering the upward travel of the tire and where it might rub. If you keep the wheel tucked in as far as possible,it helps eliminate interferance at the bottom back of the rocker. You can also move the axle back a little if that becomes a problem. The outside of the wheelwell is the main problem where it curves in toward the center which will rub on the sidewall.

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I have 26x10 tires on 15x8 wheels under my 65 Cyclone with stock leaf springs in stock location.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

barrys65cyclone wrote:I have 26x10 tires on 15x8 wheels under my 65 Cyclone with stock leaf springs in stock location.
Are you at stock height, i.e. air-shocks, extended shackles? Wondering about sidewall vs. outer wheel well clearance? What type of wheels are you using, and what is the backspacing?
Jim

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I think i am going to go with
17x8 front and back which will accomodate both 225 and 245 for the back.
If the rims are the same width i Can buy a 5th as a back up.
The common wheel seem to be +1 offset with 4 backspace.
I am going to have disk brakes front
225/45/17 front 235/45/17 rear
I am going with a Ford 9 inch rear that needs to be shortened anyway
Should I get wheels ,fit them and have rear shortened to match as the wheel tire combo size can vary from advertised where as the rear end can be made to a finite length.
Your thoughts are welcome.
Any idea of the backspace requirements with disk brakes front rear?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep. now is the best time. Right now ,(before you cutdown the rearend) you have a better choice of wheels & getting them in common b.s. or off the shelf wheels , as well as tire sizes . I bought my rear wheels & tires & set them in the wells with no rearend for measurements, although I did other measurements to confirm this was close. you'll have the wheels/tires to measure instead of specs or hearsay.

also a disc rotor on rear will be another 1/8'' wider on each side vs a drum. rotors are 1/4'' & drums 1/8'' thick so its best to know which you want before cutting the rear.

I think Pugs is running wheels about that size with pretty wide tires on a stock rearend, you might want to ask him about them
Johno

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I was going to make a run the the US to pick up a summit order.so wanted to get rims while i am at it
Once i can confirm from someoe the +1 offset and 4 backspace will work on the front i will order them up

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Buy the rears first and have the rear end narrowed, then try them on the front and see, if they work get two more if not, get the back spacing you need for the front. I wouldn't get to worried about #5 for a spare if it were me. Good Luck!..................Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!