pushbutton hoodpins

Discussions about general body work and modifications
poboyjo65

pushbutton hoodpins

Post by poboyjo65 »

The idea of conventional hoodpins is probably a better,more secure way to fasten down a fiberglass hood , but for the simplicity I really like these.the factory latch & these, between the 3 of them surely they all wont fail at the same time, hopefully. but if anyone knows any bad rumors on these,, for hoods sake speak up !! :lol:
I found them on amazon,shipped free in 2 weeks from china, & 30 bucks total.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Racing ... QXZD4TRVTQ
they have a definite loud click when closed. Seem to be well made. they need a 1 3/8'' hole through the hood to mount them, & under my fiberglass hood isn't flat for these to tighten up on it, so I guess I'll get itchy again making them fit.

Image20mb image hosting
Image20mb image hosting
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Re: pushbutton hoodpins

Post by lavron »

Those are neat and never saw them before you posted them. But I can see where one might be concerned with them being as secure as regular hood pins that have a physical pin through a shaft, which I guess could fail as well but I would think less likely.

I agree with you John that with 3 points of attachment (5 counting hinges) it should be secure. Did you google to see if anyone spoke of failure?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea 3 points & the factory safety latch. But if those all fail I dont think the hinges would slow down the fiberglass hood much,, it'd just rip on off if the front ever came up. but the latch mechanism seems really strong on these,, it is a loud pop ,,( kinda like our Pop! :lol: ) when you close it.

these are like the smaller one I put on my breather ,which is a little bigger than a quarter. I liked it so much I bought these! they are about 2 1/2'' diameter.
it is so easy. just push it on until it clicks. so instead of searching to get the stud in the hole of the breather lid you just line up the sides & push down ,the button pops back up & clicks. it's cool!

Imageimage hosting without registration
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I like them! Simple, clean. I would not replace the front hood bumpers with these. I would keep the bumpers and mout these in addition to keep some pressure.

But bet they look good when done!

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou I haven't decided where I want these yet, but it wont be exactly where the bumpers are. if I go on the rad support it will be just to the outsides of the bumpers, because I don't want them to land in the recess of the hood scoops. I would center it between the edge of hood & the recess. I may make a bracket for slightly in front of the rad support, for more adjustability.
Yea I think I'm gonna have about 6 of the adjustable bumpers :lol: . 2 at back,2 at center,where my low spot is on one side,& one on the other side to match it, & 2 at the front. :lol: the 2 at the back so I can pull down some of the slop in my hinges, so it wont rise up at speed, with the bumpers so it don't sink too low.

Hood will be black so they wont be too noticeable ,,hopefully!
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Well certainly they are cool and now I am trying to think of places I could use them :lol: don't need them on my hood that is for sure.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mike I had the little one on a compartment I made in the trunk but I thought I would use it & appreciate it more on the breather. I gave 26 bucks for it at speedway ,these bigger ones were 30 a pr.
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

John;they look slick,should work with no issues!! I guess I did not see the air cleaner one,really like it,looks like it belongs there!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Roy it does belong there now, it has found a home. :lol:
Johno

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

I have been meaning to put some hood pins on my fiberglass hood for 25yrs but have never got around to it & it has stayed down with the original hood latch all these years, thousands of road miles & thousands of 1/4 miles passes, crites must have made mine nice & strong, I will fit some one day I still have them in my box of spares I carry with me,
that air filter latch looks like a great idea, when I take my filter off at the track I usually put it behind the seat on the floor & when I want to put it back on for the drive home more often than not I have trouble finding the nut & washer. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

John you would love this one as much as you remove your breather. nothing to lose, it all stays on the lid,& it is so much easier & faster to put the lid on. Just line up one side & push down! I take it off & put it on just for the fun of it! :lol: :lol:
Johno

albert

Post by albert »

Johno, keep us posted on what you do to mount those newly designed latching hood pins on your Crites hood. I have wanted to do that for some time however I do not like the hood pins with the wires and never trusted the alternative twist lock types. You are the man to be first and can let the rest of us follow. Thanks for always finding these unique items and fixes for our cars.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Will do big Al. I'll put it in my build thread. I did see some billet or polished aluminum ones & there are other sizes that don't have the set screws for locking the screw ring on but I think they are the smaller ones like on my breather,which only has a jam nut.
Johno

five0merc

Post by five0merc »

Those should work great. I have some friends with 9 and 10 second Gen II lightnings that are running similar hood pins on their fiberglass and carbon fiber hoods.
65 comet caliente 418 windsor/t6/9"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That's good to hear !!! Thanks! :D
Johno