I found what I was looking for RockAuto had the best price, they show the same sockets for the front so I went ahead and ordered 2 extras for those, for the center taillight socket that is a backup light on more expensive Comets I ordered a Dorman 85802 socket it looks like it should snap right in.lavron wrote: ↑Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:51 pmOn that same note, anyone know the proper 1157 sockets for a '64? Mine are crusty and don't work too good, I am not really sure how they come out of the housings either plus I need an extra one for the center hole that I think is larger, on the original, it looks like it was a twist in socket.
I removed the old sockets already by punching them out with a drift punch and hammer, didn't do them much good but they were trash anyway and I did not damage my housings, only one was really stuck bad and had to be severely mangled to get out
Since I am doing my own wiring anyway can I wire the front park lights to come on full time with the taillights since they can be dual filament by just running an extra wire?
Also, we were talking about the cheap headlight harness on another thread, I took mine out and installed it today (mostly) Just remember it is a sub $20 part that has all the sockets and relays and wires, I, of course, had to modify mine and I threaded two more wires through the conduit that goes across the front of the car, one is the exciter wire for the alternator that I had already run and I ran an extra wire while I was at it, messing with the conduit is when I discovered the high beam wires are just crimped together inside the conduit with no insulation, it may be fine but I chose to fix mine. (it is this way on both sides).
The other thing I had to do is remove the plugs from the passenger side by un-clipping the terminals so I could thread them through the frame below the radiator they are too big to fit in the holes on the inside, just an FYI you don't need to remove the black wires from the terminals, they can stay attached because once you remove the white and blue wires both sockets and black ground wires are separated, I did not realize that and removed them. Be careful because the ceramic sockets are pretty delicate they were already chipped inside before I started, I did not chip them anymore.
I also removed the in-line fuse from the battery wire and replaced a wire to run directly to the fuse box.
Maybe there is something someone can use in that rambling