Ram Air Hood

Discussions about general body work and modifications
cparker136

Ram Air Hood

Post by cparker136 »

Hi All. I found the attached picture on the internet of a round body Comet with a ram air hood and I really like the look. Does anyone have any idea whether this was a purchased fiberglass hood or do you think it was a standard hood with the hood scoops added on? If it was purchased, anyone have a lead on it? If this was custom made, do you think the scoops are made from fiberglass or metal and/or know where to get them?

I'm thinking about going smooth on my '63 with no side trim, door handles, or side mirrors. I think this hood would add some body shape for that look. Still not 100% yet though.

Thanks.
Attachments
1962 comet with cowl hood.jpg
1962 comet with cowl hood.jpg (50.12 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Ram Air Hood

Post by A/FX »

Although it looks appropriate it is not a factory hood. The scoops were added to a steel hood or someone built a glass hood and included the scoops. If the hood is steel and the scoops are fiberglass they will eventually crack on the seams, steel and fiberglass expand and contract at different rates, cracks are inevitable.
Why don’t you try running the plates, they are Florida personalized plates.
It sure is a good looking early Comet.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

cparker136

Re: Ram Air Hood

Post by cparker136 »

Thanks Jim. I watched a few youtube videos where people put fiberglass or composite hood scoops on their original steel hoods but I also had concerns that they would eventually crack due to the dissimilar materials. It sounds like this is a bad idea. I don't know anything about fiberglass so I will probably stick to steel. I do have access to a press brake machine so I may try to make a couple channels and see if I can modify them to fit. I might find an extra hood just incase I screw one up.

By the way, I ran the plate and it is now registered to a SUZUKI GSX1300R 1999.

Thanks again.