61 sedean wheel well coating? Paint

Discussions about general body work and modifications
61 Waycrosscomet

61 sedean wheel well coating? Paint

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

So in removing everything out of my wheel well, tire, hub, back plate, coil, etc.... I noticed some parts, upper coil shield, have a coating of some sort. smelled like tar actually, after thinking about it, makes sense to protect from stones and junk. So what are people using in its place? I've read 'bed liner' spray,something called UPOL Raptor? That was posted 2 years ago. funny thing is they didn't do a good job, only parts of well have it. In fact some of the wheel well is bare metal even!
I have to remove all this coating to get to the underneath rust, so it all as to go.
thanks for advice, tips, links in advance.

newbie,
john.m

poboyjo65

Re: 61 sedean wheel well coating? Paint

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea they put it on in a hurry. on my 65 it was as thick as a dime is wide in places, & bare in others. but it popped off really easy. I just stabbed at it with a screw driver for most of it, had to tap the screw driver with a hammer in some places. had to scrap some traces with a wider scrapper after the bulk was off. I used spray on bed liner in a rattle can.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Mine wasn't too bad, a few thick spots and like John anything like that I popped off, then I used a knotted wire cup in my angle grinder to clean it up. Be prepared to look like a coal miner if you do it like that, I wore goggles and a mask it helped but I got super dirty.

I sprayed all of mine with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator using my cheap Harbor Freight turbine sprayer followed by Custom Coat 2K Bedliner (like Raptor) using an undercoating gun, of course, I had my car flipped on its side so it was all stand up work for me.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I had the fenders off and then media blasted. Then painted with epoxy primer, then bed liner on top of that.
tom
tomb's 65

61 Waycrosscomet

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

Thanks for input. Was looking at it again today, seems like the inside of the wheel well on the outer part of the fender they painted white, like
the rest of the car, the very top (inside), no paint and a smattering of undercoating. There is quite a bit of rust and just trying to decide how
clean it up while i have the coil, upper arm, and everything out of the way. I have to get rid of as much rust, and then encapsulate the heck out of
it. Then hit it with bedliner spray. There is no way I can stay true to how it was done originally. It would just start rusting again. thanks again.