Home Made Sequential Taillights

Discussions about general body work and modifications
lavron
Site Admin

Home Made Sequential Taillights

Post by lavron »

Got my delay relays today so I can put together a homebrew sequential taillight set-up.

I got 4 of these to make sequencers for both sides (2 on each taillight) each relay measures approx. 2 3/4" X 3/4" X 3/4" so fairly small units.

Is anyone interested in me putting together an instruction post to show how they are made (or an attempt to make)?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Re: Home Made Sequential Taillights

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Is anyone interested in me putting together an instruction post to show how they are made (or an attempt to make)?

See Ya,
Mike

Yeah go for it! :)
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Oh ya,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Yes please! ive always wanted someone to come out with sequential turn signals for these cars!
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Just a teaser, I wired up a test assembly and tried it out, it is a short video, less than a minute. :P

https://youtu.be/jV8a51746JE

I have an adjustable flasher unit on the way so I can slow the flash down just a hair, I can also adjust the flash speed if I need too.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Too cool!
Now do I toss the backup lights? Decisions, Decisions?
Do I even have a pair a lences without the clear center?
Maybe keep the clear center and get a red bulb,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey Mike....looks like more than one set of "accidental" burnout marks on your floor. Ya need an anti-slip pad on that clutch pedal? :lol: :lol:

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:54 pm
Hey Mike....looks like more than one set of "accidental" burnout marks on your floor. Ya need an anti-slip pad on that clutch pedal?
You are supposed to be looking at my taillights, not the shed floor :roll: but it happens, it is raring to go.

I have never owned a car in my life that so easily cuts the rear tires loose like this one does now :P And here I was all worried it would not perform as I hoped after all this work :roll:
SASSY wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:27 pm
Too cool!
Now do I toss the backup lights? Decisions, Decisions?
Do I even have a pair a lences without the clear center?
Maybe keep the clear center and get a red bulb,,,
Thanks, Fred, I am mounting my backup lights below the license plate like some of the later model Mustangs, of course, I never had backup lights on my Comet until now.

The bulbs I have in there are red right now, not sure how red they would look through clear, I guess a slightly lighter color. That left lens on there has some cracks in it, I will probably dig my originals back out and use them they are in good shape just full of spiderweb cracks, I also have a box of taillight lenses I bought off of Wayne at PF one year I need to dig through those and see what they even are I can't remember.

The nice thing about this modification it is most likely less than $50 to do 8) as long as you don't buy two sets of commercial offerings that don't work before you decide to make your own :roll: these work just like they are supposed to, or will once I get the timing right on them.

My plans right now are to mount all 4 relays in one box and mount it near the center, up on the rear panel, I think I have a few old 3.5" external harddrive cases around I probably use to house it in.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks factory! good job! :D
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Here is the How-To on making the sequential taillights, it is the same as the one posted in my build thread.

https://youtu.be/8JKD-MSgNCE

Also here is the wiring diagram off of the end of the video.

I can list the parts as well if anyone needs it.

I wish I had built this myself in the first place, I guess that is why I almost never buy kits or premade parts :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Too cool!!
Another winter project for me.
Fred

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

cool beans !!! when that 202 grows up it might want to take after a cougar !!! pop 8) :) pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I made an update video on the sequential taillights adding a plug to disconnect it for maintenance and I make a couple of suggestions on what I would do if I was doing it over.

https://youtu.be/809qgztFDik

Basically it involves making the service of the unit easier, I will add the mods myself later or I might even build a second unit to replace this one as cheap as the parts are (later).

I also make a couple of comments on the LED headlight modification I did on the car in the video at the end.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I have ordered all the stuff to make a second sequencer following the experience I gained from the first one, I am going to try my best to document the whole process a little better, after I finish I may rebuild the old one as a spare or maybe even make a gift out of it :roll: hopefully I make everything better this time or I guess a little cleaner, I ordered a different case that I think will work a bit better, but if it won't I ordered another like the first (except a tad larger I think) like I said the parts are so cheap it is easy to buy a few extra things, with that said I may have a few leftover parts and might be persuaded to make a few care packages for anyone interested.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Mike may I get in line for a care package? Of course I will pay!
Fred