63 comet tire question

Discussions about general body work and modifications
JCBond

63 comet tire question

Post by JCBond »

Does anyone know the largest width tire you can get on the rear of a 1963 comet. You know how that rear panel comes over the top of the tire? I have some 235/60/14 tires. My current rims are too small for those tires, but I don't want to go find rims if those tires are too wide.

Thanks

Jims65cyclone

Re: 63 comet tire question

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Try using the tire size comparer below to compare the 235's to the tires you have on the car now. Measure the clearances you have with your current tire and compare to the 235 dimensions, assuming they are both mounted to wheels with the same backspace. If the 235's will fit, get some new rims with the same backspace as your current rims. If they won't fit, determine if they would if they were re-centered inboard or outboard in the wheel well, and how much they would have to be moved. Add or subtract that amount to the backspace of your current wheels to determine what the backspace of your new wheels would need to be. Wheel backspacing is the distance in inches from the mounting surface to the inside edge of the wheel. You can measure the backspace of your current wheel by cutting a stick that will fit just inside the lip of the rim at the center of the wheel, and measuring from the inside edge of the stick to the surface where the wheel mounts to the hub.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -215-65r15

Jim