1964 Comet interior paint color

Discussions about general body work and modifications
64boyyyyyyy

1964 Comet interior paint color

Post by 64boyyyyyyy »

Hello, I have a 1964 Comet Caliente and I've been wanting to repaint the interior hard trim (dash, upper door panels, defrost vents, etc). I want to paint them red but I want to make sure it is a red that was used by mercury/ford back in the 60s. Does anyone know where I can find the right red paint or know the color code?

Thanks in advance

poboyjo65

Re: 1964 Comet interior paint color

Post by poboyjo65 »

Top of dash is always flat black to help with the glare. some people go with body color & some on here have dulled the body color down to matte or flat colors but I'll always go with the flat black to keep from seeing its reflection in the windshield . example:

as for the other parts, mustang vendors usually have factory colors in rattle cans
Johno

64boyyyyyyy

Post by 64boyyyyyyy »

do you think rattle can paint would be fine? or would a gravity feed spray gun be better?

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

64boyyyyyyy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:16 pm
do you think rattle can paint would be fine? or would a gravity feed spray gun be better?
Yea that'd be better I would think, since you put hardener in it would be more durable . But there are others on here who could tell the why. Really depends on what you want the car for, a driver, full restore, & what you want to spend. the reason I mentioned the rattle can is it is the cheapest way out. So me being po & tight + stubborn = my comet is a driver right now so it got rattle canned.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

Carnival Red (sometimes called Cardinal Red). We rattle canned the dash and metal parts on door panels. Even painted the dash pad. Always looked good to me, but we are not in for competition.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Rattle cans will be fine, what we did for my 65 and sons' two 64s was bought a quart of red from an automotive paint supplier (Auto Zone here sells it) and had the paint store fill it into rattle cans. I think we ended up with a half dozen or so. We used it on the dashes, doors, package trays, one headliner and two roll cages. if you take your time and put multiple light coats you might be surprised with the results!

Take care! Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:43 pm
Here you go.
https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/ ... zontalTab1
Thanks for the link, Jim!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Groover wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:10 am
Always looked good to me, but we are not in for competition.
Not many of us are around here I don't think, really seems like the group here is into driving their Comets not make trailer queens or show cars, which those are ok too but I for one think a car is first meant to be driven and not just to look at. Nothing against guys who do that we need every kind around to keep the hobby well rounded.

Way back in the day I wanted to restore my 202 Sedan to look brand new, as I grew older that became way less important, if I ever had a desire to do that it would be with a rarer or more generally desirable Comet but this one can never be replaced for me because of the stories that go along with it, the memories are more valuable than the car ever will be, I can't wok on the Comet and not think about my dad and the things we did and he taught me, I really get reminiscent with the Comet, more than anything else, I know that might be silly and kinda sappy but that is what makes working on it so satisfying even if the work is not perfect it will look good driving it might even bring an occasional tear to my eye :P , I think people who don't do this stuff don't understand it is more than just an old car but a link. I do know I have met so many guys here I consider friends even if I have never met some in person, who would have thought a little known "rare" car that is not even considered by most to be collectible do so much and this silly website that I started so many years ago would lead to this and then the Comet Gathering, I think I commented in the other post it is hard to believe that is getting ready for #10 and the forum is coming up on 20 years soon, one goal in life I have is to meet everyone here in person one day, the only problem is you might discover I am not nearly as awesome :roll: as my online persona, but the Comet is 10 times cooler in person than online for sure :lol: :D but I may have people pointing out every flaw when they see it, but that is ok if that is how they want to roll, I could do the same thing but would never do so unless asked for advice I am not qualified to give.

I see the sun today, that is new, but my wife said it is still bitter cold out there.

Keep warm and safe guys.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:22 pm
the only problem is you might discover I am not nearly as awesome :roll: as my online persona
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQORY2VT72o

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I guess really you guys have seen my videos not much different than I am anytime :roll:I am really that charismatic in real life as I am on video :roll:

I was going to tell you brad wrote that song for me because we are personal friends but thought that would just be bragging 8) and most possibly totally untrue :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

64boyyyyyyy

Post by 64boyyyyyyy »

Groover wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:10 am
Carnival Red (sometimes called Cardinal Red). We rattle canned the dash and metal parts on door panels. Even painted the dash pad. Always looked good to me, but we are not in for competition.
do you happen to remember where you got the paint from?