Paint questions

Discussions about general body work and modifications
lavron
Site Admin

Paint questions

Post by lavron »

You all know I have been thinking about paint lately so I thought it would be easier to find in the future if I started a discussion here in the Body Shop Section, so first what I am looking at right now, I may have jumped the gun a few times on this whole paint thing, so here goes, Originally I was going to use tractor enamel and I have a gallon of 9N grey in the closet, I have since changed my mind (which is ok, I have a 9N Ford out there that can get repainted someday.
and ordered some Eastwood filler and epoxy primer and polyester filler primer with the intent of using Eastwoods single stage paint but I have been reading and most people seem to agree that if you are going to paint a single stage metallic it is hard to get a good even metallic pattern and to clear over the single-stage so even though the SS is cheaper it is around the same price bvy the time you add the clear SS over the SS paint, Thinking now I should just do base/clear but I cn't find one I like in Eastwood gunmetal but Shopline has a nice BC/CC gunmetal I like but not sure if it is good paint (I think I can get it local art OReillys as well? trying to find out if it is compatible with Eastwood primers as got notification today they have shipped, I can't imagine the poly primer and the polyester filler primer are not compatible but as of now I have not got confirmation on this I will probably shoot a sealer over everything when I am ready to paint, I have not looked yet to see if Shopline has a satin black as well, that can probably be single stage for my hood and cowl and the dash and interior)

Any insight appreciated and help me not to jump the gun again and waste money :roll: Actually have decided not to do amettalic at this time and go back to a solid grey to make it easier to paint in sections and match I really don’t need the hassle of trying to get the metallic to have an even distribution right now and a solid grey was originally what I was going to do if I can just find the right color :wink: :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

65clevorcyclone

Re: Paint questions

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

Enamel should stay on tractors, it doesnt use a hardener so some fluids can wash it right off. Shopline is pretty good actually. Used it a bunch on the cyclone for the engine bay, painting the trans/bell/oilpan. You should be able to spray the shopline over the eastwood primer as the primer will be caralyzed and sanded. The only area i wouldnt croas product lines is if youre going to wet on wet products ie using eastwood sealer then shopline basecoat. It would probably work, but if u ever had a delamination problem down the road that would most likely be the cause.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Shopline is PPG's economy line of paint. Not bad paint. I have sprayed it. PPG also has a another economy line of paint called Omni. Same stuff and have sprayed a lot of it. It isn't as vibrant and doesn't cover as well as the expensive stuff (DBC) but it is a good choice when one doesn't want to spend 2k+ for paint.
They also sell a more midrange paint line called shopline plus or Omni plus. Covers a little better and the colors are little more vibrant

I agree with going to the bc/cc over the SS, and it will make it better for the metallic only because you can wet sand and buff without screwing with the metallic. But as far as spraying it won't stop metallic from being splotchy or tiger stripes. That is going to come from how you spray it, technique. You need to keep your spray square with the body, speed consistent. and maintain your overlap. You don't have to worry about keeping wet or orange peal with the base, so that will be less to worry about when you spray the met, worry about that with the clear.

But with the shopline you should be able to pick from just about any automotive color, except for the newer paints with pearls.
The sealer I feel is overkill and just another step that can go south if you know what I mean? If you are going to have the car all in primer, I would skip the sealer. Cured automotive primer sanded with 400-600 will be fine for the shopline.

power band

Post by power band »

I used the traitional vanilla white SS DBC for the '61 (Wimbledon / Corinthian) and PPG epoxy primer - hi-build - epoxy again as sealer. PPG DBC is pricey but excellent overall - even thick color coats and hard even shine after final wet sand and buff. I've used Omni for most else and still excellent when used as per sheet but not quite as forgiving with my novice spraying technique.

Image . Image . Image

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thamnks for the tips guys.
Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm
isn't as vibrant and doesn't cover as well as the expensive stuff (DBC) but it is a good choice when one doesn't want to spend 2k+ for paint.
Thanks Lou I totally trust you, you could tell me to roll latex on and I would probably do it :P and 2k for paint is out of the question :roll:

After I posted this I was Googling around and it appears Oreillys does not carry Shopline so maybe back to Eastwood I did look through their BC/CC paint and think Choptop Silver would be ok combined with my satin black I am doing on the Comet, this is the web page showing it I had to screenshot it because I could not get a link to work for Eastwood's page
Image, I still assume I could go with a gallon of base, all the primers will be uniform black underneath. I might order the single-stage satin black first and practice with it, and getting my used to my guns before attempting to do the silver on the car, just to help visualize the underside of the trunk lid is painted with black truck bed liner already as is the rest of the trunk, the hood will be black and has the underside already painted with black truck bed liner as is the engine bay. This silver/gray is a bit lighter and that might be a good thing to hide body imperfections better than a darker gray(?) I am guessing a gallon of clear as well? Might be neat to go ahead and paint the center of the wheels satin black as well if the paint would be durable enough, I am guessing a couple of quarts to paint the hood and dash and the window frames as well as the tops of the doors inside etc (interior parts) this is all new to me, hopefully, I will not be painting and sanding it back off to e repaint over and over again :roll:

Thanks again for all the help and please don't run off as I get closer to doing this painting project because I am sure I will have more dumb questions
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

You can see I chose the slow activator, from what I read it was needed for larger projects.

waiting right now to see if he doctor gives the thumbs up for me to go out and work on the Comet, it is sunny and warmer today like spring but I do not wnt to push too hard and lose ground on my healing.

Hopefully I can post later with some progress on the quarter panel repair.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:17 am
Thamnks for the tips guys.
Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm
isn't as vibrant and doesn't cover as well as the expensive stuff (DBC) but it is a good choice when one doesn't want to spend 2k+ for paint.
Thanks Lou I totally trust you, you could tell me to roll latex on and I would probably do it :P and 2k for paint is out of the question :roll:

After I posted this I was Googling around and it appears Oreillys does not carry Shopline so maybe back to Eastwood I did look through their BC/CC paint and think Choptop Silver would be ok combined with my satin black I am doing on the Comet, this is the web page showing it I had to screenshot it because I could not get a link to work for Eastwood's page
I still assume I could go with a gallon of base, all the primers will be uniform black underneath. I might order the single-stage satin black first and practice with it, and getting my used to my guns before attempting to do the silver on the car, just to help visualize the underside of the trunk lid is painted with black truck bed liner already as is the rest of the trunk, the hood will be black and has the underside already painted with black truck bed liner as is the engine bay. This silver/gray is a bit lighter and that might be a good thing to hide body imperfections better than a darker gray(?) I am guessing a gallon of clear as well? Might be neat to go ahead and paint the center of the wheels satin black as well if the paint would be durable enough, I am guessing a couple of quarts to paint the hood and dash and the window frames as well as the tops of the doors inside etc (interior parts) this is all new to me, hopefully, I will not be painting and sanding it back off to e repaint over and over again :roll:

Thanks again for all the help and please don't run off as I get closer to doing this painting project because I am sure I will have more dumb questions
One thing to pay attention to is the mix ratio. What you are showing is 4:1 which will give you 5 qts of sprayable paint. If you could find a supplier that had Omni or shopline near you it is 1:1 which would give you 8 qts of sprayable paint for bout the same price. You need to pay attention to this to figure out how much paint you need to buy. With the 4:1 I would think your going to need more than a gallon. If you bought some that was 1:1 you could probably get away with a gallon. Same with the clear depends on mix ratio and how many coat's you want. But usually use less clear than paint. Most base coats I spray 4 coats, and only 2-3 coats of clear.

Also are you doing inside door jams with the bc/cc?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOU's comet,,,,pop reads want you post,,,,I would bet you have probaly have..one of the best comets on this entire forum,,with your no how and your way of building things....above nearly everyone your post are the very best,,,you don't post other then true stuff from past no how.....you don't post stuff you just read about...you post from hands on...I read with all confidence your post.......pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Pops. Appreciate the kind words! The cool thing about this board and all the posters is all the accumulated knowledge. It is cool to be a part of it when I can.

As far as my Comet it has been sitting gathering dust for way too long. If life calms down a little, I will hopefully get back to it sooner than later. There are some pretty cool Comets here and I would be happy if one day mine just becomes one of them.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

power band wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:12 pm
I used the traitional vanilla white SS DBC for the '61 (Wimbledon / Corinthian) and PPG epoxy primer - hi-build - epoxy again as sealer. PPG DBC is pricey but excellent overall - even thick color coats and hard even shine after final wet sand and buff. I've used Omni for most else and still excellent when used as per sheet but not quite as forgiving with my novice spraying technique.
Your Comets look great! I really like PPG products, been using them for 45 years without any problems, they were still using the Diztler name when I started. Have tried other brands with some success but haven't had the success with any other brand that I have had with PPG. I have started to use the "Omni Plus" just because of the better color match and the clear has more UV protection without the price tag of the DBC. But for newer or high end stuff I will use DBC.

Lou