EVALUATIONLavrons64 Comet body work

Discussions about general body work and modifications
lavron
Site Admin

EVALUATIONLavrons64 Comet body work

Post by lavron »

The frame rails are rusty too underneath, not sure how bad but I know they are rusted.
And what caused the trunk rust, besides the carpet? The leaky (dried and cracked up) trunk seal, which also rusted the trunk lip in the front, the rest is ok.
The last bit of rust in the trunk is the bottom of the trunk lid, it is rusted badly on the left rear corner, only on the inside not the outside the rest of the trunk looks fine.mouse pee damage.

Inside the car both front toe boards, and the driver floor.
Passenger side you can see the rust goes through all three layers of the floor, there is a little rust on the front edge of the floor as well.
Drivers side toe board and the floor is pretty bad in the corner, and I have a mouse nest :roll: a major portion of the rusted out torque boxes was due to mice having access to build nests and then keep them soaked with pee, mice are so destructive and should be addressed to remove them as soon as discovered dryer sheet seem to help but you have to keep them changed as soon as they loose their smell they just become nesting material, I have a mouse now so I am going t set some traps and try to catch him :x :twisted:
The rest of the floor is ok as far as I can tell, but I will examine it further when I get to work on the car.

Obviously I will have an issue with my cowl vents being rusted out and will probably cut the ends off to look inside like a few others here have done.

The outside of the car has the classic case of rear quarter rust.
As a teenager I attempted to slather some fiberglass and bondo on the right rear quarter, I am not too proud of my work :oops:
The left side I thankfully left untouched.
There is a small spot of rust on the lower front passenger fender but the picture was more my finger than the rust so I didn't upload it, I also attempted to repair it when I did the rear quarter, but it actually doesn't look too bad, it still will need repaired.

The only other really bad spot is on the right front core support and frame and the bottom of the battery recess, the frame is rusted right at the strut rod attaching point.

That is my Assessment, while I do not like the current condition, I know they are all fixable. Currently the car is, in my opinion, not safe to drive on the highway (besides not having any taillights, interior, brakes or gas tank) because of the rear frame rails are galvanized and not rusted at all will link the trunk floor repair when found as on all of this :lol: and the front frame.the front core is repaired now and will post a
Adon replacing a core support when I find it in my original build thread and transfer it over to here

My next post I will begin to lay out the plans to get it back on the road, what I have and what I am considering or looking for, I will be looking for some input on that phase for sure :P

See
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

power band

Re: EVALUATIONLavrons64 Comet body work

Post by power band »

.. it's like a walk through history looking at your car and the description of 'teenage' slatherings'

The only other really bad spot is on the right front core support and frame and the bottom of the battery recess, the frame is rusted right at the strut rod attaching point.I bought the parts car for the front core support basing the cost of the whole car for only the core support it worked out for me in I also got other things like rear quarter patches1 even if I had to build them I saved $800 not finding whole pristine quarters one of you guys got those instead of me your welcome :lol:

good to revisit since this is a particularly troublesome spot that is a critical suspension component. Battery leakage, freezing and acid vapor emission do a job on that area. Then I turned around and replaced that whole front section with M2 componets but at least I went back to original first befor modding the front and cutting my good core support all up :lol:

Re-pop front Strut - subframe brackets are available and also pieces of lower Rad support aftermarket. Application is for early mustang but work for Fal/Com Strut bracket repairs and Rad support work.

https://www.npdlink.com/search/products ... 0001&year=

https://www.macsautoparts.com/1964-1966 ... 591-1.html

https://www.macsautoparts.com/catalogse ... 20Supports

> used the 65 'Stang - " lower radiator crossmember" on my '61 with a little mod. ( added some angle and gussets.). Most 'Stang pieces are same or close - easier than only fabbn' ...

Image . Image .. Image

Image . . Image. Image . Image .

Image . Image . Image

hav e fun

lavron
Site Admin

RPAINT CHOICESavrons Comet body work

Post by lavron »

summit kinda teed me off when I was chatting with them earlier I am looking now at a plain grey Single stage to paint my Comet kinda back to how I was going to paint it with Rustoleum but with 2k single stage instead I just wanted a paint chip of the color I chose to see if it was really the color I wanted nope no chips told him I would or buy my paint locally instead of Summit from now on, maybe I should have mentioned the 3000+ people that would hear about the lack of color samples and to get paint from someone else :lol: I didn’t but now I wish I would have :mrgreen: :lol: now my question does anyone recommend a particular brand Oreillys sells?
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058