Hood bow, how to fix?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Caveman49

Hood bow, how to fix?

Post by Caveman49 »

Thought I’d throw this out, maybe someone has had the same issue.

On our (my daughter’s, I just work on it) 66 Comet, the hood has a slight bow on the passenger side by the hinge, it was like this when purchased. I’ve lubed and got the hood hinges working fine, and would sure like to straighten the hood. It’s really in great shape other than the bend and would like to keep it on the car. I’ve tried a 2x4 on top and whacking it sorta gently 😬, tried a metal flat bar, both sides with C-clamps, didn’t seem to do anything.
I’ve even had it off, placed it in the ground and rigged up some 2x4s to put down force on it with my tractor front loader, notta….just put a small crease in it.

So, has anyone had any experience with fixing something like this? Would love to hear from you, ideas or suggestions. Thx/Lee

A pic of the hood
Attachments
4DEC6161-07AB-47C2-B826-69B288410051.jpeg
4DEC6161-07AB-47C2-B826-69B288410051.jpeg (103.61 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
Motor Safe,
Lee

Lou's Comet

Re: Hood bow, how to fix?

Post by Lou's Comet »

Ok hope I can explain this.

If you look at your picture I edited. Might be off but you can adjust as need be.

I marked in red where I thought "bow" started and ended, if I am off you will need to adjust.

You want to support under the hood at where the bow ends at both ends. If my picture was right you would support the hood under the red mark in the back corner and under the red mark toward the front. You can use some hardwood in the correct thickness, or some hard rubber, I have screwed hood bumpers into fender mount holes before to support hoods for this.

But anyways support the hood at both ends of the bow, where the hood is good. Now in the back not a lot of room to support hood because it looks like the bow goes pretty close to the corner. But in the front you can support the hood in front of the bow for more than a few inches. After you have good solid support underneath, latch the hood down good so it doesn't move. Latch it clamp it whatever, you don't want the hood moving

Now there will be no support under the bowed part. The blue line I drew is what I am guessing is the length of the bow, again you adjust this to your actual bow length. Cut a 2x4 a little shorter than the length of the bow. Like if the bow was 12" long I would cut the 2x4 like 9-10" long. Turn the 2x4 on it's side (the thin part of 2x4 on hood) and place it length wise over the bow, on the outer edge of the hood, I would have it a little over the edge so the force will be on the part of the hood where the top panel wraps around the inner shell. So the wood just misses the fender. Keep the 2x4 on its side, over the bow (unsupported part of hood) and with the 2x4 on its side over the edge of the bow hit it with hammer. Start with smaller hits and move the wood back and forth over the bow as needed. Sneak up on it if you know what I mean. And don't try to take it all out at once. You may have to hit it hard but try lighter hits first.

For the bow to come out there cannot be support under the bow to keep it flat with the rest of the hood. It will just hit that support and bounce back. You need to have the bowed part go past that point so when it comes back it is lower and closer to straight.

If you get the hood too low you can work it back some or skim it with some filler. If you can't get the bow completely out you can add some shims under the fender mounting flange to have the fender mimic the bow some and it won't be as noticeable.

But bet you can get most of it out.

Hope this makes sense to you, if not clear let me know and I will try to explain it better.

Lou

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Hey Lou, I’ll give that a try, you explained it just fine, thanks. I did try something similar but used a long piece of 2x4 across the whole hood with no support underneath. I’ll cut some wood to fit under the hood like you mentioned, or look for some hood bumper stops. Great idea on shimming the fender to lift it up some to match if needed.
Thanks again for taking the time with the pic and explaining the technique.

Regards,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Because of all the effort put into this so far without result I think the under structure has a new memory.
Some kind of rig you guys are discussing and a
lots of tapping using wood to ease the contact against the edges of the structure ribs may release it.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Maybe, donno 🤷🏻‍♂️ I have to give it a try.
Motor Safe,
Lee

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Let us know if it works
Tom
tomb's 65

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

When I have at it I’ll post results, pics as well.
Motor Safe,
Lee

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

To add to what Lou and sassy said,first make sure the hinges are OK.Remove the springs and see how sloppy the pivot points are.If the hinge is questionable it's gonna happen again.On the later Cyclones and Torinos with the long hoods,this is common.I have had to cut the area where the hinge mounts to straighten the kink.Easy at that point as you're basically only dealing with a flat piece of tin.When you weld up the cut,jamb a piece of metal in the gap so the weld doesn't shrink it back to where it was.Adding this if everything else fails.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Caveman49 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:15 am
Hey Lou, I’ll give that a try, you explained it just fine, thanks. I did try something similar but used a long piece of 2x4 across the whole hood with no support underneath. I’ll cut some wood to fit under the hood like you mentioned, or look for some hood bumper stops. Great idea on shimming the fender to lift it up some to match if needed.
Thanks again for taking the time with the pic and explaining the technique.

Regards,
Lee
Wood would work better, mentioned the hood bumper because the bow looks like it comes pretty close to rear corner of hood . Might be hard to get wood under the back corner/edge.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

vicegrip wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:25 am
To add to what Lou and sassy said,first make sure the hinges are OK.Remove the springs and see how sloppy the pivot points are.If the hinge is questionable it's gonna happen again.On the later Cyclones and Torinos with the long hoods,this is common.I have had to cut the area where the hinge mounts to straighten the kink.Easy at that point as you're basically only dealing with a flat piece of tin.When you weld up the cut,jamb a piece of metal in the gap so the weld doesn't shrink it back to where it was.Adding this if everything else fails.
Vicegrip, thx, but don’t think I’ll be doing any cutting or welding on the hood. The hinges are working fine now, had to clean em up and lube em after I purchased the car. Yeah I’ve seen it happen time and again on the big hood cars, had some early 73-77 El Caminos, big problem with them.

Lou, I believe there will be enough room on the corner to slip a piece of wood under it. I was looking at it today a little, gonna try to mess with it some this weekend if I’m not too wore out from the honey-do list, plus loading and moving some 66 Stang cars and parts to their new owner’s home. Finally clearing this STUFF outta here!

Thanks again to all for your input and feedback, it’s much appreciated, gotta love this forum.

Motor Safe,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Well Lou and all who may be interested in the results. Photos are sorta in progression, used small wood pieces and gorilla taped them down, then used my straightening devices 😄 actually didn’t come out half bad.
Now to get some bondo and skim it some. My can of Rage bondo is so old it has gone bad.
Oh yeah, I did put a couple shims under the back two fender bolts.
Attachments
Before
Before
AFBDB23E-AEAA-4C33-8BD5-2DDBAD70323F.jpeg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
Straightening devices
Straightening devices
92C76863-B4D6-444E-9E79-4F951CC0F9E1.jpeg (102.12 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
During
During
B7961781-6548-4A2C-B307-B7F5078D3245.jpeg (99.43 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
After
After
CE5176EA-2C04-412E-85C7-70BFD0F367E2.jpeg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks great! Lou is the man to listen to & if you pay attention closely to what he says you will not be disappointed. he knows the best tricks of the trade.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks good Lee!

If you are looking for new bondo try this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/3M-01131-Platinu ... 98072&th=1

It is pricey, but it is worth it, best filler I have ever used. About 6 months ago my supply store was out of it and I bought another brand. After using the platinum for the last few years the other stuff sucked, ended up buying the platinum and giving the other brand to a friend.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya!

Lou

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Thx guys, you’ve both been very helpful throughout my time on this forum.

I forgot to mention, I tapped it out from front to back (mostly hammering pretty hard), chasing it like you mentioned Lou. Thanks for to tip on the bondo, I’m going to check our local body and paint store for that stuff, see if they have it.
Last edited by Caveman49 on Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor Safe,
Lee

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Looks good Lee!

My hood is also bowed. Given the nice paint job, I'm not beating on it with a hammer :) and am just going to live with it.

Jim