New 64-65 dash Pad

Discussions about general body work and modifications
poboyjo65

New 64-65 dash Pad

Post by poboyjo65 »

I bought a new scott drake dash pad . which actually is from dashesdirect, :x :x :x which is just like the one I had that came with the car & never would stay clipped on. I suppose I/m suppose to use the same clips that my old one had that dont work very well. But I really dont know because it didnt come with any instructions or clips . I have a half a mine to send it back & use my old one .

I was wondering if anybody has used a different kind of fastener or glued it on? or would like to hear how installation went for yours.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Re: New 64-65 dash Pad

Post by Lou's Comet »

I think you need to use new clips and I think the shop manual says you also glue it. Key words "I think"

Falconparts sells the clips. https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon ... S-p723.htm

In the instructions it says the clips are difficult to get set.

https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon ... on-d26.htm

From the instructions

"These clips were probably not one of Henry’s better design ideas and it is difficult to maintain the engagement of all 10 clips. It is our experience that multiple attempts are sometime necessary to get 100% clip engagement."

Maybe put a long piece of string or wire thru each clip, run both ends of the wire/string thru the hole, and let both ends hang down under dash to help pull the clip thru or to tie it off and hold each clip in place till you get them all set. Then just pull on one end of the string/wire to remove it. Would be like your extra hands!

Check your shop manual, pretty sure it said to also glue.

I have been looking at dash pads and was going to get the one thru summit just for the cheaper shipping. They only charge 9.99 for the oversized. They have the dashesdirect brand.

Other than it not staying put. How is the quality? Look close to factory?

From what I have seen the Comet and Falcon uses the same dash pad, is this correct? The part number on the one from Summit is D26016400.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks Lou for the helpful reply. I read that somewhere ,,about not henrys best idea. also read one or more ads on ebay I think that had scott drake dashpads for sale & came with specially manufactured screws,so I thought this one would :( .
yes falcon is same. Got this one from jegs so same as summit I think,or close on shipping,& I got a few other things to get free shipping (over $200 ships free) But I did have to pay the 10 extra buck oversize fee.

Thats sounds like a great trick with the string! I'll keep that in mind. But I hope the clips stay in the pad better than my old ones,that was part of the problem ,sometimes the clip stayed in the dash. every time I hit second gear my hand would knock the pad off.

Yea was thinkin if I could get some clips to hold it down long enough I might glue it down too,not having the 3 on tree & long shift lever from a truck will help too :) :)

as for the quality. dont know,didnt even take the plastic off, I just slid it back in the box after seeing the same slots on back & no clips or dear john letter or nutin. :roll: I'll get some pics up soon of it .
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I glued the clips to the pad with silicon and then bent the tabs a little bit to make them hold better. When installing I used a rubber mallet with a soft touch :lol: I got it to work the second time because the first time one of the clips came off the pad. Haven't had any problems since.
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks for the reply Tom. Soaking up all these tips! :D
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Take the buckets out, take everything out from under the dash, get your nose under there and hold it just right. Your third hand and quantitive use of foul laungauge are very effective in getting each clip to engage. lol
I think I installed the clips in the dash and one by one got them engaged.
Good luck with your decision.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:07 am
Take the buckets out, take everything out from under the dash, get your nose under there and hold it just right. Your third hand and quantitive use of foul laungauge are very effective in getting each clip to engage. lol
I think I installed the clips in the dash and one by one got them engaged.
Good luck with your decision.
Nutin in the dash,buckets out,nose has been all up in there putting fakedynamat everywhere under there! even bottom of the dash.
all 3 hands,& neck & back & all the other junk is sore as #@$#%$7 & *%-%&$@#@231 too ! but it really lightens it up under there! :)
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well, time to load up on the Advil and get at it,,,.
Its a pain on the butt, but I never came with any alternative ideas I was happy with.
I didnt realize you were that far into the dash as well.
How about those super power magnets, cheap on Amazon?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Any progress with the dash pad????

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

No Lou,my focus has shifted, been doing work on the house. Still haven't ordered the clips :roll: I think it all started when a couple different painters stood me up on painting the cowl. I hate waiting on someone. but hopefully get back to it soon . the housework was suppose to be done last spring,doing that myself,,,,I may end up buying a paint gun ,lol
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Yep buy the gun. Just finished a roofing project understand where you are!

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Buy a paint gun,,,you won't be sorry. Spraying paint is not hard,

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:42 pm
Buy a paint gun,,,you won't be sorry. Spraying paint is not hard,

Lou
Lou the whole process overwhelms me. so many different suggestions from different people. & stages,different primers ,paints ,thinners ,mixers,hardeners,blah blah,why cant you just buy a can of paint ,pour it in & spray ? :? :?
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

If your gonna get wet ya gotta step in the puddle.
Get a HF gun, single stage paint reducer and hardner, wax n grease remover, scuff it , clean it, spray it.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:27 pm
If your gonna get wet ya gotta step in the puddle.
Get a HF gun, single stage paint reducer and hardner, wax n grease remover, scuff it , clean it, spray it.
You don't even need to get the wax n grease remover, Windex will work.

Lou