61 comet 4 door epoxy primer sanding question

Discussions about general body work and modifications
61 Waycrosscomet

61 comet 4 door epoxy primer sanding question

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

First time with a car restoration project. The car is being blasted and 2 to 3 coats of epoxy primer put on first. There is minimal body work to be done such as tiny holes in the lower panels, minimal dents to work out, etc. Should I sand down this initial epoxy primer (block sand?) before putting filler primer on top after doing some of the repair jobs? I am trying to do the work myself cause it's so expensive to have a business do the painting work.
Trying to figure out the order of doing these steps. thanks for any advice. john.m

Caveman49

Re: 61 comet 4 door epoxy primer sanding question

Post by Caveman49 »

Hey John,
Lou posted a great answer to this on one of my questions, try this see if it works for you.

viewtopic.php?p=108217#p108217
Motor Safe,
Lee

power band

Post by power band »

from another novice:

don't see any reason to block sand initial primer. 'you probably have a difficult time sanding most epoxy primers. Initially considered somewhat sandable after application, 2K epoxy hardness increases after a few days. Also the film thickness doesn't allow for much working.

If you grind off the epoxy primer to repair problem areas, best to recoat the area with epoxy until rest of repairs are made or whole car can be re-primed.

my '61 'yard art' - 2 Dr took awhile to complete (myself) but epoxy after phospho' treatment kept weld repairs etc clean until final primer before color.

Image .Image. .Image . Image

3 coats single stage PPG Wimbledon/Corinthian White and careful wet sand after shooting it in my garage took most of the gnats and oops' out and stretched my abilities but looks great (to me)

Image . Image .

have fun

61 Waycrosscomet

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

Thanks for info. Am curious, did you come across any old, what appears to be lead filler? like on the lower rear fenders? If so, how did you handle
that? I have what appears to be lead 'smoother'? applied at the factory? car has never been in an accident so must have been applied at factory for some reason. Some appears to be ok, some lightly cracked, some areas very cracked.

power band

Post by power band »

... great, another '61 wonk !

LEAD:

lower rear fenders were prety much gone but yes, when stripping roof to metal the grinder suddenly dug into the softer lead filler on sail panel and angled seam to trunk. Also in a few seams like trunk to tail fin. had no trouble with filler adhesion to it after low-grit prep. Fin seam eventually revealed through filler and paint.

Image . Image . Image . Image

have fun