Tail Light Panel Restoration

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Joe Travers

Tail Light Panel Restoration

Post by Joe Travers »

Has anyone restored the black-out paint on '63 or '64 tail light panels?
Have recently seen a couple very nice restorations that were very clean. Racking my brain trying to determine how it's done well. Thought about masking those 5 million chromed raised 'bumps' but don't want to take X-Acto knife to aluminum and scratch it up. :?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Tail Light Panel Restoration

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:25 pm
Has anyone restored the black-out paint on '63 or '64 tail light panels?
Have recently seen a couple very nice restorations that were very clean. Racking my brain trying to determine how it's done well. Thought about masking those 5 million chromed raised 'bumps' but don't want to take X-Acto knife to aluminum and scratch it up. :?

Joe
Joe,
I have seen this advertised but have no experience with it.
https://graphic-express.com/products/19 ... 5729349731
I have been looking for a new old stock pair of panels for a while, mine are very nice but of course I want better. I am not familiar with what a ‘63 1/2 has but maybe the company who makes the ‘64 kit has something for a ‘63 1/2.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:17 pm
Joe,
I have seen this advertised but have no experience with it.
https://graphic-express.com/products/19 ... 5729349731
I have been looking for a new old stock pair of panels for a while, mine are very nice but of course I want better. I am not familiar with what a ‘63 1/2 has but maybe the company who makes the ‘64 kit has something for a ‘63 1/2.
Jim
Thanks, Jim. I don't see vinyl listed but I'll give them a call. Here's the '63 Custom like mine-

Come to think of it, the '63s I saw were S-22. They should be easier to restore than Custom, just horizontal (excluding vertical). The black is inset like the '64, reason I lumped them together.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I did mine years ago. The anodizing was decent but the paint was tired.
Tidied the the bright work best I could then used fine pin stripping tape to separate the painted areas. Scuffed it a bit and paint. Still decent driver looking 20 years later.
Most of the other aluminum bright work except the inlay I had deanodized and polished. A little more maintenance but I like it better.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:25 pm
Tidied the the bright work best I could then used fine pin stripping tape to separate the painted areas. Scuffed it a bit and paint. Still decent driver looking 20 years later.
Pre-cutting 1/8" pin striping tape would work to mask, Fred. Wouldn't have to trim after application, nicking the panels.
There are 286 strips to cut plus the outer and inner trim. :shock:

Maybe mask in two axis (1/8" vertical, 1 1/8" horizontal) and spray twice :idea:
Wet-sand paint lines after they dry?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I dont think I did any wet sanding. Spray can paint wouldn't like it anyway, plus for the 64 anyway the finish would be wrong.
A job best done while recovering from a personal mobility issue,, tedious, time consuming, annoying, plus additional adjectives job! lol
If you tackle it be sure to post procedures, results.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Might be pricey, but maybe a graphics shop or maybe someone that paints portrait's could paint the black freehand. Or one of those guys that do pinstripes on cars. Some of those guys are amazing.

Just some ideas.

Lou

power band

Post by power band »

during the junkyard rescue of my '61, I found paint-pens like used on auto parts are very useful with emblems, gills, console etc... . Local hdwe has 'Forney' brand in welding supplies. The paint is thick enamel and doesn't run.

Image . Image

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:02 am
I dont think I did any wet sanding. Spray can paint wouldn't like it anyway, plus for the 64 anyway the finish would be wrong.
A job best done while recovering from a personal mobility issue,, tedious, time consuming, annoying, plus additional adjectives job! lol
If you tackle it be sure to post procedures, results.
If I masked and sprayed in two steps, I may have paint lines between the corners where the spray overlaps.
Pulled a Jim just before Christmas, so yeah no better time as soon as the weather is right. Will definitely document it for the record.
I do have a old friend that still works for a graphics company & he's one heck of an artist. :idea:
Thanks guys!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop