1964 ram air hood

Discussions about general body work and modifications
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 1964 ram air hood

Post by A/FX »

My Cyclone never had a rubber seal stapled to the core support. Although I have seen them on other cars. It may have been a difference between assembly plants. ????
I fabricated a panel to fill the area between the grill and core support, having the panel in place might be one reason my Comet cools so well. Forcing the air into a hi flow radiator, having a shroud, a good mechanical fan, and a performance thermostat, all work together to make it run cool.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

Rubber seal at front of hod,to help airflow thru radiator, seal at back of hood to help keep water out from getting on firewall? I can see the ram air hood catching a lot of air at front of hood. The hemi hood scoop hey say really has to be tall to catch air flow there.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:22 pm
My Cyclone never had a rubber seal stapled to the core support. Although I have seen them on other cars. It may have been a difference between assembly plants. ????
I fabricated a panel to fill the area between the grill and core support, having the panel in place might be one reason my Comet cools so well. Forcing the air into a hi flow radiator, having a shroud, a good mechanical fan, and a performance thermostat, all work together to make it run cool.
Jim
The fill panel is very tidy with the beading. Great idea on the prop rod!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
That's a good question. No evidence of a seal ever installed on my radiator support as well. Have also seen both.
Ford parts vendors stock them under factory part # C4DZ-16A238-A.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:34 am

The fill panel is very tidy with the beading. Great idea on the prop rod!
I agree looks real nice! Plus no hood latch cleans it up even more.

Love looking at pictures of Jim's car.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I appreciate the compliments! I spent many sleepless nights thinking about the details during the build, it’s rewarding when someone notices and pays a compliment.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Guess part of the reason I was never a real competitive racer,,,, dozed off reading that,,,, no pictures! Lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:07 am
Interesting article ;
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/08/ ... echnology/
This part of the article is what I was referring to, in regards to 'ramming' air, John-

“The amount of pressurization produced by a hood scoop varies as a function of the square of the speed of the vehicle. The formula for calculating pressure is:

0.0000176 x air speed in mph² = ram pressure increase in pounds per square inch (psi).

“If you plug in the numbers, you’ll find an increase in inlet air pressure of .142 psi at 90 miles-per-hour. Standard atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi, so this represents an increase of just under 1 percent. If the air/fuel ratio is adjusted to compensate for the increased pressure, there should be a corresponding 1-percent increase in horsepower. For a 1,200-horsepower Pro Stock engine, that’s a gain of 12 horsepower. Hood scoop pressurization increases dramatically at faster speeds: It’s 2 percent at approximately 130 miles-per-hour, and 3 percent at 158 miles-per-hour. At the magical 200 mile-per-hour mark, the theoretical pressure increase is .704 psi, or 4.8 percent. That equals 56 “free” horsepower."

Joe- retired geek

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
I have a 67 mustang built in San Jose that has the rubber seal and my dad has a 67 mustang built in Dearborn that does not have it. Could possibly be a assembly plant thing. Like Metchen plant early mustangs usually have the buck tags in tact while other plants rarely have them.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry