1964 ram air hood

Discussions about general body work and modifications
barbee6043

1964 ram air hood

Post by barbee6043 »

I am a new Ford guy from 40 years building Mopars. I have fabbed the early b body max wedge and hemi scoops out of 20 ga. mild with no fancy equipment. Has anyone fabbed out of mild plate decent ram air scoops for the 64 Comet? I keep thinkng I would like to give it a try. I would have to have good measurements and pics for sure. I understand Crites makes the repop fiberglass hoods.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 1964 ram air hood

Post by A/FX »

In my opinion it would be to your advantage to just purchase a glass hood. The scoops on the Comet hood are tapered to almost nothing in the rear and cut into the body line on the leading edge. It would be difficult to fabricate them and attach them to factory hood and make it look good. These are quite a bit different compared to a scoop mounted on the top of a hood. ( example- MoPar)
Then there is the method of attaching the scoops and how to blend them into the existing surface, bondo equals weight, it would take much to make the hood gain unneeded weight over the front of the car.
If you have experience with a SS scoop on a MoPar why not just build an aluminum or fiberglass SS scoop and attach it to the Comet hood. It would be different and probably inexpensive compared to a Crites reproduction.
The under hood chamber on an A/FX hood is not complicated but it is time consuming to build, I fabricated the chamber on my hood to make it clear the core support and funnel air directly to my carburetors. Note: my hood is not a Crites.
Jim

Here are a couple of pictures that were taken during construction of my hood:

Notice that the hood is much smaller than the opening between the fenders.

After dozens of hours of work the hood now fits the opening and final body work on the fiberglass is complete.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

I bet you are correct for sure. Aluminum sheet is silly expensive and actually 20 ga. mld steel is very light, but like you said bondo adds weight , not that I am a boy racer. If I attemped to fab one, I would slice the hood and have the sides of the tunnel bend at 90 degree and attach (tack) from under the hood as to have minimum body work and forgo the duct work. I love the look of the ram air hod and I have always felt the best part of a scoop is giving the uderhood heat a way to escape! I will find a local hood for measurments and probably attempt one to see how it goes I have some 20 ga plate sitting her just trying to rust!!I If I don't like how it looks I can just scrape it and be out just some time. Thanks fir the pics and response!!!! Love your car too!

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

barbee6043 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:07 pm
I love the look of the ram air hod and I have always felt the best part of a scoop is giving the uderhood heat a way to escape!
Teardrop hood scoop was used to vent heat in '64. They're running $195 @ Crites- https://critesperformanceparts.com/page7
Cool intake air supplied by ducts from inside headlight bucket to air cleaner housing, like this Falcon-Image .

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

I admit I really like the looks of the ram air hood way better. I understand the tear drop worked to et air in and out! Better set up in general I bet.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:32 am

Teardrop hood scoop was used to vent heat in '64. They're running $195 @ Crites- https://critesperformanceparts.com/page7
Cool intake air supplied by ducts from inside headlight bucket to air cleaner housing, like this Falcon-Image .
Joe
Hey Joe these guys are a little cheaper and have great customer service. http://0407a0f.netsolstores.com/tear-dr ... scoop.aspx
They make a billion type of hood scoops. I gutted the structure outta my stock steel hood and screwed this scoop on. Works great!
I also got their glass front bumper for the Falcon.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

barbee6043 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:05 am
I am a new Ford guy from 40 years building Mopars. I have fabbed the early b body max wedge and hemi scoops out of 20 ga. mild with no fancy equipment. Has anyone fabbed out of mild plate decent ram air scoops for the 64 Comet? I keep thinkng I would like to give it a try. I would have to have good measurements and pics for sure. I understand Crites makes the repop fiberglass hoods.
I have a 65, but maybe these will help.

Hope this helps...
Lou

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

Yes that is exactly what I need!!! Thanks so very much! What I try to do might work well or it could end up in the scrape pile!!!!!

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 am
Hey Joe these guys are a little cheaper and have great customer service. http://0407a0f.netsolstores.com/tear-dr ... scoop.aspx
They make a billion type of hood scoops. I gutted the structure outta my stock steel hood and screwed this scoop on. Works great!
I also got their glass front bumper for the Falcon.
Thanks, Joe!
I like the dual front scoops better myself but I'm more concerned with venting heat in the Summer, idling in traffic. If I can find a good hood within driving distance, will do the same as you.

How much weight savings (if any) is gained by using a fiberglass hood over steel? There's a shop in Canada selling fiberglass hood w/ teardrop for '63 but very expensive. Almost $800! :shock:

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

On hoods like Mopar early B body hemi and max wedge scoops, actually don't suck in that much air to the carb the experts say but that hole cut in the hood for the scoop does let out lots of hot air.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

barbee6043 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:48 pm
On hoods like Mopar early B body hemi and max wedge scoops, actually don't suck in that much air to the carb the experts say but that hole cut in the hood for the scoop does let out lots of hot air.
I would agree w/ that statement. A forward facing scoop only 'rams' air @ very high speeds. The main benefit would be lower induction temperatures than 'under the hood' temp. On a street driven car w/ aluminum top end, venting heat is a priority, @ least for me. The heat soak on my engine is +30 degrees last time I checked. Combine ethanol fuel to the mix and it could be a minor headache.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The afx type hood definitely rams some air in at high speed. Here are some pics of Roy when his ballooned apart at the seams on the sides during a run at the strip! so with the openings on the leading edge may help it grab even more air than a scoop opening further back .
you can see the sides of the hood are curled up. good thing the stock latch held!

But think about the fresh air system, it isn't facing forward,yet it brings lots of air into the cabin whether or not the windows are all up or down. So I would say it is getting rammed in there too.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:36 pm
But think about the fresh air system, it isn't facing forward,yet it brings lots of air into the cabin whether or not the windows are all up or down. So I would say it is getting rammed in there too.
Would be very interesting to see how much turbulence whips up between a teardrop and the cowl. There's a lot of turbulence under a steel hood w/o a scoop under acceleration. Check out the back of the hood lifting on my car w/ only half-throttle @ 55 mph in 3rd gear (no cowl seal). Excuse the fumbling, trying to be discreet and safe on a wet road. Be cool to see air direction for lift. May be from the windshield.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1rBRnlAr3fU

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I see that Joe. coming in from the grill I'd think. these cars had a rubber seal from rad support up to the hood didnt they?. Roy mad a plate to cover the opening from grill to rad support. this forces the air to go thru the rad vs going over it into the engine bay. I think Fred made one too,slightly different,he also cut holes in the back of the fender aprons to let more air out . He might show us pics of it if he reads this. Joe if you had new tight hood hinges it wouldn't raise up like that.

at least some of the afx cars had the cowl closed off to the cabin & top of cowl cut open up to the engine bay to help with the underhood heat, but I would think the air goes in thru the cowl & out the bottom.
I think this was dyno don's;
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:10 pm
Yea I see that Joe. coming in from the grill I'd think. these cars had a rubber seal from rad support up to the hood didnt they?.
Yep, stapled onto the top of the radiator support. My hood isn't sealed on either end, why it's lifting. Hinges are in decent shape.
Going to keep it that way until I can find a better way to vent heat in the Summertime.
Cool (pun intended) pic of the cowl cutout on the Cammer! :D Here's another I found and never noticed- Image

Not running a mag, don't know if it's the same car.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop