61 comet, 4dr. Stainless windshield trim pitting

Discussions about general body work and modifications
61 Waycrosscomet

61 comet, 4dr. Stainless windshield trim pitting

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

I have some pitting on the backside of my stainless windshield trim. After dissolving away the rust, is there a treatment I should put on this pitting.
It is in small clusters. lots of different advice on what to do out there. Thanks.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 61 comet, 4dr. Stainless windshield trim pitting

Post by A/FX »

Stainless does not pit, are sure it is not chrome? Try using some OOO steel wool with a paste type metal polish. ( test on an inconspicuous place first)
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

61 Waycrosscomet

Post by 61 Waycrosscomet »

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately stainless steel will pit. There are many images and articles about stainless trim pitting. The decorative
trim around the windshield and back window is definitely not chrome.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I use Quick-Glo on all of my stainless and chrome after catching it on a Leno video a couple years ago. It's good stuff.
They will send you samples with an order to find what formula you need. Regular, fine & ultra-fine. I ordered fine but found the original compound worked best but it is slightly abrasive. Will remove oxidation and rust and convert red oxide to black oxide and seal.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sanding the pieces down and repolishing would minimize the appearance of the pits. The stainless trim is quite thin so removing them probably wont happen.
I dont think I've ever seen pitting in stainless trim but maybe salt air or some other bad environment,,?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

61 Waycrosscomet wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:30 pm
I have some pitting on the backside of my stainless windshield trim...........
When you say "backside" you are talking about the side of the trim that you don't see when it is installed??

If so after you clean it just coat it with some wax.

Lou

power band

Post by power band »

the roof of early Comet and Futura's is the signature 'T-Bird' roofline with backswept rear lite and epaulets adding to the Jet-Age styling cues.

pics' of the trim if removed would be helpful. I've worked on most of the '61's Stainless and chromed pot-metal with varied results. most S/S can be amateur' restored simply , but dents, corrosion and safe removal and replacement is a challenge. I decided not remove the rubber and and glass for the junkyard rescued' '61.

longtime junkyard resident had critters poppin' out as I towed it out but with intact trim and most chrome added to my interest.

Image, Image ... Image . Image .

Image .Image . Image

have fun