65 Comet rear panel

Discussions about general body work and modifications
saSSoman8810

65 Comet rear panel

Post by saSSoman8810 »

I am in the process of building a 65 Caliente. I pulled it out of a shed in south Ga after setting there for over 20 years.
I have replaced the floor pans that were rusted out from setting in the dirt. After getting the paint off the back end of the car I found out that the car had been hit in the back end and had been fixed the way they did things back in the day.
There are places that have been brazed and patched . There are a zillion holes where dent pullers were used. Consequently there is quite a bit of rust around the tail lights from no rust inhibitor being used. After cutting out all of the bad places it would be easier to just cut out the rest of the metal and replace the whole back panel and right rear lower 1/4 panel.
Does anyone know where I can find a tail panel ? I have already installed a straight front axle and am in the process of moving the rear leaf springs in 3 inches so I can install a 275/60 -15 drag radial. I know that I am going to have to fabricate trunk floor panels and rear spring slider mounts.
So this is no restoration , just a street/strip Gasser. More emphasis on strip. A drag and drive type car.
I don't want a bondoed up mess. I like to replace rust with new metal.