Finally decided to cut my shock towers.

Discussions about general body work and modifications
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Finally decided to cut my shock towers.

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Fred;put down the Canadian lager and look at the staggered bolt pattern on the headers!! I had to take a second look as they do have the verticle bolt holes like an FE,maybe Larry has plans for a FE in there!!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

SASSY wrote:So,,,,,,,? Did anyone else notice the FE headers under the car?
Thought you were into Cs
Nice eye Fred, I did not notice I left them laying there. Those are FE headers that where on my Shelby once upon a time. Have both vertical FE and 390GT exhaust bolt patterns. I sat the old 427FE I have had sitting around for years in there to see if it would fit. Does not look good, I would need to do more work. I also cracked the number 1 cylinder in my Boss motor so I don't know what I am going to run in the Cyclone now.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

So,,,,,,,,, let Roy talk you into a Windsor
It's time to update anyway and the W is probably
easiest to pick up parts for and still get cubic inches
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

SASSY wrote:So,,,,,,,,, let Roy talk you into a Windsor
It's time to update anyway and the W is probably
easiest to pick up parts for and still get cubic inches
Fred
Maybe a 351W block and make a Clevor or a 3.8 Supercharged motor! :P
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I love my windsor motors! You can build a pretty big these days too. May be a little easier to work on. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Larry;OLD Fred had a good idea[I know,hard to believe],a Cleavor would solve a couple of issues for you. You need a new block and 351Ws are plentyfull,so why not!!!! I'll make you a smoking deal on a 4.100" stroker crank,brand new,never run,makes 418" with a .030 overbore!!It is only money,might as well spend it on a new engine!!!!! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Larry;OLD Fred had a good idea[I know,hard to believe],a Cleavor would solve a couple of issues for you. You need a new block and 351Ws are plentyfull,so why not!!!! I'll make you a smoking deal on a 4.100" stroker crank,brand new,never run,makes 418" with a .030 overbore!!It is only money,might as well spend it on a new engine!!!!! ROY.
I may take you up on that. I won't be working on the car much for the next 3 weeks, then full speed ahead on getting this thing going again.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I see my work is done here :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I like that strut brace. Nice...........

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Ok, got some time to work on this. I started to mock up my setup with the Shelby drop. I was wondering why I couldn't cut another inch or so out of the shock tower? I am going to try cutting along the top of the original upper control arm mounting holes, where I drew the line. Then up at 30degree angle to the area I already cut. Anyone think of a reason not to do this?

Larry

sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Here is a pic of my 62 shock tower. Does your tower have the same brace that runs
diagonally behind the outter brace like mine?
If so dont you think cutting into that loose some structual rigidity?
Unless you add some metal bracing? maybe?

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

After i made my initial cut, i went back across just above the control arm to get the cut as low as possible. The lower you can box out, the better. That is where you'll appreciate the extra room the most. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Larry;I angle my 'shelf' upwards from the bottom of the original holes,gives you a bit more room! I should have used a little heavier gauge material though,used 16 gauge,maybe should have gone to 14 gauge! I may add another layer on the 'shelf' next time the engine is out[hopefully not for a LOOOOOOOONG time]!!! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

sideshow wrote:Here is a pic of my 62 shock tower. Does your tower have the same brace that runs
diagonally behind the outter brace like mine?
If so dont you think cutting into that loose some structual rigidity?
Unless you add some metal bracing? maybe?
I do have that brace, I don't think cutting more of it will matter as long as my welds to the new material are good.
383MERC wrote:After i made my initial cut, i went back across just above the control arm to get the cut as low as possible. The lower you can box out, the better. That is where you'll appreciate the extra room the most. Mark
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Larry;I angle my 'shelf' upwards from the bottom of the original holes,gives you a bit more room! I should have used a little heavier gauge material though,used 16 gauge,maybe should have gone to 14 gauge! I may add another layer on the 'shelf' next time the engine is out[hopefully not for a LOOOOOOOONG time]!!! ROY.
I have a half sheet of 1/8th inch plate so I should be good on the material. Thanks for everyones response, I think I'll give Roy's idea of the bottom of the original holes a try. If I am cutting it, might as well get as much space as possible. :)
Larry

sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Once you get it cut down. Please post some pics.