Finally decided to cut my shock towers.

Discussions about general body work and modifications
sideshow

Re: Finally decided to cut my shock towers.

Post by sideshow »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Larry;I angle my 'shelf' upwards from the bottom of the original holes,gives you a bit more room! ROY.
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE What do you mean you angled your "shelf"

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

sideshow wrote:Once you get it cut down. Please post some pics.
Ok, will do.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Sideshow;if you look at a side view of the tower after you cut it,most people cut it at 90 degrees just above the upper control arm.I angle mine upwards from the old control arm mounting holes,instead of cutting it at 90 degrees,this gives the upper control arm an area for upward travel. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Larry;the 1/8th plate will be perfect as you take some strength out of the mount areas when you cut them. ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Here is the new pictures of what I cut out today. Cut across bottom of the original upper control arm bolt holes. I know I will have to clean this up before I weld in the new steel. Cut up to back area at 120 degrees instead of the 90 degrees others seem to prefer.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Nice. I see what you meant by angling the cut so the control arms clear... Are you thinking about any bracing in the area?

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

What I do is to weld filler pieces into the voids before I weld the closure pieces in.I also weld the inside[spring side] as well as the engine bay side.I also installed a removable lower crossmember that ties the bottom of the frames together right next to the lower control arm mounts. ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:What I do is to weld filler pieces into the voids before I weld the closure pieces in.I also weld the inside[spring side] as well as the engine bay side.I also installed a removable lower crossmember that ties the bottom of the frames together right next to the lower control arm mounts. ROY.
Thanks Roy, I will try that. I always wondered why Comets don't have that crossmember that Mustangs all got.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Roy, did you use a Mustang crossmember? I have one lying around, or did you make it?
Larry

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

There is a guy that makes nice crossmembers and sells them on EBAY for $50 or $60 bucks. He had one on last week, but i don't see one right now. I'll keep an eye out for you just to give you another option. I was thinking about buying one for my 63. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Larry;I used the Mustang version that is supposed to bolt up from the bottom[plus there is no place to bolt it],I couldn't use the one that bolts to where the engine mounts are.I had to build a bracket and weld it to the bottom of the frame in order to space the cross member down enough to clear my headers.I had a hard time welding to the subframes as they are galvanized and kept fouling my welds.I talked to Dale Snoke[owns the "Rocket" 64 Comet],he gave me some pointers for welding on galvanized metal[he owns a fab shop].What he said was to do the welding by using a series of tack welds,keeps the galvi from melting and fouling the welds,worked great! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I thought the fumes from welding galvanized steel was dangerous? A guy told me before to be careful when welding galvanized steel. Anyway, I am going to try to mount the Mustang one later after I can see how the motor sits in there and where the headers are.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Larry;YES,the fumes from welding galvanized metal are VERY DANGEROUS!!! You need to clean[sand]the areas and use short tack welds,have plenty of ventilation!!! There is not a terrible amount of fumes given off,just use caution!!! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Larry;YES,the fumes from welding galvanized metal are VERY DANGEROUS!!! You need to clean[sand]the areas and use short tack welds,have plenty of ventilation!!! There is not a terrible amount of fumes given off,just use caution!!! ROY.
Thanks Roy, I will be careful!
Larry

sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Any progress??? I need to get back to work myself......