Finally decided to cut my shock towers.

Discussions about general body work and modifications
383MERC

Re: Finally decided to cut my shock towers.

Post by 383MERC »

Looking good buddy! Can't wait to see that FE in there. Gotta start saving up some sheckles myself for the Fairlane's FE. I got a std bore 428CJ block and a beautiful tunnel wedge intake so far. Now i have to learn a whole new engine family. Your going to love being able to pull those bars out for doing valves etc. It makes everything so much easier. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

So I'm lovin the Coilovers, tubular contol arms and the drum brakes
Kinda protour stocker? :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Hey,,just ribbin ya, great work
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Larry;nice looking suspension!! I hope you are going to put disc brakes up front!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Yes, disc brakes are coming soon. :oops: I need to get the car off the lift so I can work on my Mustang. So drums are back on for now. :shock:
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

She is back together and is a roller. Need to do brakes and put in drivetrain.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Also, needs alignment and I need to install hood trim that I got on E-bay last year. Oh well, one day it may be done. No engine in it for now.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mean stance Boss! I guess it will come down in the front with a drivetrain. How big of a tire can you run? You moved your rails in or something didnt you? looks great!!
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:Mean stance Boss! I guess it will come down in the front with a drivetrain. How big of a tire can you run? You moved your rails in or something didnt you? looks great!!

It won't drop alot. Shawn (owner of Street or Track) custom build the Bilstein shocks with my coil over suspension for the weight of a FE. I sat an old 390 in there earlier today to see and the front dropped down about 1/2 and inch. Yes rear frame rails are moved in. I have 325-50-15's Hoosier quicktimes on the back now. Had some 28-11.50 slicks on there before and had plenty of room.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

After sitting the engine in I decided to rethink my work. I did not like the stance, as the front had dropped to low with the engine in for the look I was after. I had lowered the upper control arms one inch, now decided to lower them another inch for a total of two.
Here is the new holes drilled out below the already lowered holes.

I was looking for a good high front end stance, so I also needed to lower the lower control arm mounts. Used the street or track adjustable lower mount kit and moved them down 3/4 of an inch. This lifts my whole front end for the stance I want with out overly taxing the ball joints and steering geometry.
Here are the pucks that slide in to set the alignment.

Then after lowering a second inch, recut the towers and welded in patches.

Here is the stance now, with 351C sitting in to give it some weight. I wanted the high front end look, so I think it was worth the extra work.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Also, I pulled the pedal assembly to adapted the Mustang Steve clutch cable setup. Should have that stuff in a week or so.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Good to hear your still working on it. :D how's the wagon coming??
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I don't get much time, but the wagon is coming along. Held up waiting for my rack and pinion conversion kit so I started working on the Cyclone. Thanks for asking.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Put 351 Cleveland back in, finished front suspension work and did a home alignment. Installed 2006 Mustang front brakes and new rims and tires. I got a new Ron Morris wiring harness that i will be installing over the next couple weeks. Should have it on the road sometime this Summer.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Larry,I like the new wheels!A lot of work to get the front end UP where you like it!351C staying for now? Roy.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

OK That's what it is,,,new wheels! I couldn't put a finger on it but I knew something was different. I thought it was the florescent lights making the blue paint look purple :lol: they look good! :D
Johno