plastic dash for 62 mercury comet

Discussions about general body work and modifications
mooch

plastic dash for 62 mercury comet

Post by mooch »

any one have an idea where I can get the plastic dash for my 62 mercury comet. My old one is craked beyond repair.

Thanks
Mooch

Hillbilly Comet Man

Post by Hillbilly Comet Man »

Good Luck,as far as I know No one reproduces it.I have a 63 Comet Wagon that has this dash pad also.I am going to try to repair my cracks with that yellow expandable foam that you can buy at the hadware store.I am going fill the cracks and shave them down flush with a razorblade and see if an upholstry shop can cover it in vinyl.Anyone else have any ideas?Later,Heath
19'62 2Dr. Sedan, Black with Red interior.
1962 Comet S-22,Champagne w/beige and white interior
Black 1993 Ford Lightning

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

My brother had a Pinto in high school and his dash was cracked, we pulled it off and took some light weight vinyl (padded) and let it warm in the sun so it was very pliable and used 3M upohlstery spray and attached it too the pad, it was warm enough that it wrapped right around the pad and you couldn't tell it had been recovered, was on there till it it landed in the junk yard, looked good for several years (better than the rest of the car :P )

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

supercomet

Post by supercomet »

what about dash caps, does anyone make a cap for those dashes or can they make it?
Drew Wanzer
"I love the smell of roasting tires in the morning"

Hillbilly Comet Man

Post by Hillbilly Comet Man »

No one reproduces the pad or cover,But believe it or not I bought a nice uncracked one from a 62 comet off Ebay this week.You can't really put a price on those,because they are almost impossible to find even in repairable condition.Later,Heath
19'62 2Dr. Sedan, Black with Red interior.
1962 Comet S-22,Champagne w/beige and white interior
Black 1993 Ford Lightning