Preserving my Baby

Discussions about general body work and modifications
kingspeedy1

Preserving my Baby

Post by kingspeedy1 »

Hi All,Sorry in advance for the length of this.i have some questions regarding the starting point in the preservation of my Comet while it sits in whats little more than a barn with a concrete floor.
Currently the car is decent for rust with the usual suspects such as cowl ,floorboards and kicks needing new metal.I live on the Wet-Coast of British Columbia so its quite moist 1/2 the year.Consequrntly Some very light rust has bloomed up inside the doors and trunk area.
I want to arrest the corrosion in these areas.
The car will be my first complete restoration and it will be completly stripped but it will have to be done over an extended period of time in sections,whilst i complete other house projects.Ps I would like to keep the car a rolling chasis for now.
But could have the local water/abrasive guy come blow the layers of house paint off it..
My questions are.
1)should i get the car completly stripped so i can see what needs to be done body work wise and then spray a light primer on it as a hold coat? Or phosphate coating? I eventually would like to epoxy primer it.but it will require body work and i would imagine the epoxy is tough to sand off .
2)If i remove rust from part of an area like the trunk and Epoxy coat it will an overlapping adjacent coat of epoxy adhere well to it.
Can i phosphate coat the areas meantime and epoxy prime over it eventually!
2) To preserve the doors I could take them off and have them chemically stripped.Would powder coating work for the inside of the doors as i could be almost assured of 100% coverage.Perhaps Pore 15.instead of an option.
I have a decent compressor so i could probably dust the bloom off with some sort of media.
So basically my dilema is the need to preserve it without having to remove coatings twice.
Thanks for all your help everyone.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Preserving my Baby

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Regular primer is NOT water proof,epoxy primer is tough,water proof and can have bodywork done over it! JMO , ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

Where are you in BC, im in vancouver. Id get the car stripped and have a couole coats of a quality epoxy put down. Epoxy is preferred to be down on the metal before filler as filler creates heat when it cures and can develope moisture under the filler and start rusting from underneath the paint. And once the epoxy is cured, most companies want you to sand and spray and additional coat of epoxy on before wet on wet applying high build primer surfacer. Im a red seal body tech so feel free to ask any questions.

kingspeedy1

Post by kingspeedy1 »

(Mostly Sunny ) Victoria BC
and thanks for the offer of advice

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Like Roy and Cleavor said use epoxy. You can do the whole car down to metal, then do any welding/metal work and epoxy it all or do a section/area at a time. Really your choice. Save some material by doing a section/panel at a time, and not as rushed. Epoxy really isn't much harder to sand than surfacer if you let it setup. Sanding it before it sets up just gums up the paper. Also agree with putting your plastic/filler over the epoxy,
I'll take a area /panel down to metal, do welding/metal work then epoxy, do the plastic over the epoxy and after plastic is done sand whole panel and re epoxy then surfacer. this way epoxy is under and over plastic. Seals the plastic.

Lou