Engine Paint

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Maine Pilot

Engine Paint

Post by Maine Pilot »

The engine for my '66 Caliente has just returned from a local engine rebuild shop. Thought I had a 289, but the shop showed me the serial numbers which indicates it's a 302. Rather than trying to find a replacement 289, I decided to keep the 302 since 1) I just put a bunch of money to bring it up to snuff; 2) the shop gave me a warranty on their work; and 3) until it started burning more oil than gas, I was satisfied with it; (why bother with something untried when you've got a proven product?)

Anyway, I'd like to paint the engine. It appears it had been painted blue and I thought that's how it came from the factory--but then again, it's not the original engine. Did 289's,( or 302's for that matter), come from the factory in a blue paint?

Any recommendations as to what kind of paint I should use? The rebuild shop stripped all the remaining old paint off, so do I need to use a primer of any sort?

Also, I thought I'd paint the exhaust manifolds too. Can I use the same engine paint or do I need to use a special high-heat type? Any color choices, assuming I go with the blue engine?

Since the carb will be essentially covered by the stock air filter, that shouldn't need any paint--right?

The rest of the engine compartment is pretty clean. It appears it had been re-painted black at some point; (maybe when the engine was replaced?) I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to paint the engine compartment/firewall again in black. Is there anything that should or should not be painted; e.g., accessories, brake cylinders, etc?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I realize this car will never be shown in a "stock" category as it has chrome Cragar wheels, a modified exhaust, and now a non-standard engine; it will not be raced, but probably something closer to a daily driver; but I'd like to have something to show it's special.
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Groover

Re: Engine Paint

Post by Groover »

1966 was the first year of all ford, all blue. Any engine. Exhaust manifolds would also have been blue. High heat paint for those. Carb is neutral.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

comethead

Post by comethead »

If the manifolds got blue paint it would have burned off in the first few minutes of operation anyhow.
I don't paint manifolds anymore. Most the stuff out there just burns off after a while.
Sand blast them and install them. When they get ugly sandblast them again.
Like Groover said a specialty high heat Ford blue engine paint will do the trick. I believe it was called Ford Corporate Blue.
Good luck!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

Eastwood has a brush on or spray on cast iron grey manifold paint that looks like fresh cast iron. Stands up to high temps. Did a set of hi po manifolds with them.