1964 Comet Caliente 2 dr. HT

Let everyone know a little about yourself
tinyowl

1964 Comet Caliente 2 dr. HT

Post by tinyowl »

Hi, I just acquired a 64 Comet Caliente 2 Dr. HT. Believe it's a 260 eng. with 3 spd. trans. It has some surface rust but not rusted through anywhere. The body and floors are solid. It had a year 2000 California license tag on it and is showing 36,000 + miles. It had been sitting in a shed for several years, however with fresh gas and battery it started right up. The lifters ticked for about 10 seconds then idled like it was driven every day. The brakes stop the car and the car drives out good, no smoke from the tailpipe. I am 73 years old and live in Texas (Dallas area) I just finished restoration on another car a few months ago and sold it. Thought I was through with vintage cars but I like this Merc so much it's going to be a keeper.

Jims65cyclone

Re: 1964 Comet Caliente 2 dr. HT

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Sounds like you've got the makings of a great car. We need to see pics, though. Here's how to post them.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16011
What are your plans for it?

Jim

tinyowl

Post by tinyowl »

I'll post some photo's at a later date. I picked up a 4 speed with hearst shifter out of a Torino. Had to mill a few thousands off the nose cone where it fits in the bell housing, fabricating a crossmember and change the front drive shaft yoke. Appears the hole in the tunnel may be a little different location then the lighter trans hole would be. When this is completed its off to the upholstery shop as the interior is rough. Buckets and a console. I'm getting old so I'm slow but there is no rust (other then surface) and no dents so the body should go fairly quick. I'm in Texas so AC is a must - power disc brakes etc.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Tiny!
Glad you dig the Comet for a keeper. I'm over across the Sabine. Dallas is a spread now days. Should be able to hustle parts and help as needed. Lots of great old muscle cars between here and Dallas, last trip I made picking up my Comet. Found a few Comets sitting on the side of the road for sale around Audie Murphy hill country.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

tinyowl wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:17 pm
I'll post some photo's at a later date. I picked up a 4 speed with hearst shifter out of a Torino. Had to mill a few thousands off the nose cone where it fits in the bell housing, fabricating a crossmember and change the front drive shaft yoke. Appears the hole in the tunnel may be a little different location then the lighter trans hole would be. When this is completed its off to the upholstery shop as the interior is rough. Buckets and a console. I'm getting old so I'm slow but there is no rust (other then surface) and no dents so the body should go fairly quick. I'm in Texas so AC is a must - power disc brakes etc.
was that a big block 4spd? out of the torino ! pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:24 pm
was that a big block 4spd? out of the torino !
Five-bolt question for you, Pop.

Did you have to replace or mill input shaft retainer on your Toploader to get proper fit with the bellhousing?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Yes ! but only on a 5bolt you have to change it or mill it down,,if you use a 65 or newer trans,,,a 6bolt bh takes anything.....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tinyowl wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:17 pm
welcome glad to hear another Comet is heading back to the road, especially a. ‘64 :lol:
WhileIMO A/C is not required here my wife is insisting on it so I am going th. vintage air route on mine just haven’t spent the money to order yet other things are priority right now like a little paint and getting the windows back in etc
like was said, pictures when you can :wink:
see Ya,
mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tinyowl

Post by tinyowl »

Hi Joe, I" been out of commission for a few weeks and haven't check the forum. The 4 speed Torino tail shaft is different then the 3 speed comet so the front drive shaft yoke had to be changed and the shifter seems to be back some as I am having to cut about 2 3/4 inches out of the tray on the front of the console (cutting out of center and putting it back together) so the console will mount in the same screw holes. The trans hump had to be cut low in order to get the rear bolt that holds the shift on the trans and I have fabricated a box to enclose the hole and mount the shift boot.

tinyowl

Post by tinyowl »

Joe, yes the trans nose cone had to be cut a few thousands to fit the bell housing. By the way I'm in Frisco. I could use some wisdom on tail light/Brake light/blinker wiring. All the wires have been cut. I have solid red ( 3 place) tail light lens and the only schematic I can find shows back up lights on the center hole. I do not have back up lights. Do you or anyone know how to wire my rear lights without the back up lights?
Thanks - Ralph (Tiny Owl)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

welcome on ! what year torino trans is it? I put one from a 70 torino in my 65. I had already moved the seats back so it was perfect shifter location for me.I cut part of the tunnel brace out of the way for the linkages.

I think I remember that car of yours, a survivor ! nice ride! :D

would a wiring diagram help?
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

tinyowl wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 pm
Joe, yes the trans nose cone had to be cut a few thousands to fit the bell housing. By the way I'm in Frisco. I could use some wisdom on tail light/Brake light/blinker wiring. All the wires have been cut. I have solid red ( 3 place) tail light lens and the only schematic I can find shows back up lights on the center hole. I do not have back up lights. Do you or anyone know how to wire my rear lights without the back up lights?
Thanks - Ralph (Tiny Owl)
Orange/blue is hot to the passenger side, green/orange runs to the driver's side. Black from both sides run to the license plate light which is grounded to the car, as are all the sockets. Hope this helps? Don't know where they are cut.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop