hoods

Let everyone know a little about yourself
steves65comet

hoods

Post by steves65comet »

Hi I just found this site. I am building a 65 comet calantie hardtop. It will have a 5.0 with aod and 9in. My friend and I have already built a new frame from the front frame to the back along with a rollbar. The front suspension is a modifed mustangii with coilovers. We are starting to do some body work. The rear lower fenders have a little rust and some old bondo up higher we will be getting rid of. I have a question about hoods. I like the look of the teardrop that was used on the 64s. I cannot find one for my 65. Would the64 fit in place of the 65. I think the center is a little different in shape. I am mostly interested if they are the same length and width and have the same overhang in the front.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Hoods

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The 64 has a different leading edge,but would fit at the cowl.You can buy just the teardrop from different fiberglass suppliers,I believe Crites sells just the teardrop. ROY .
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

cyclone65

Post by cyclone65 »

If you go on www.critesrestoration.com they sell complete teradrop hoods for a 64 for about $350.00 . I have a ram air on my 65 and it's a quality hood.

SLCK64

Post by SLCK64 »

Everyone thinks that the tear drop was "the hood" for the comet in 64, but didnt all the cycleons and AF/X cars have the ram air? I like that much better because its not a dead give away on what under the hood so to speak. I look at the teardrop as a Ford hood/product and the ram air for Mercury. But I guess if ya got a big ol single-plane high rise intake then the teardrop would be the way to go....IDK, I enjoy the big ol nostrals of the ram air hood...

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Hoods

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The early 64 Comets had the teardrop,if you look at early race coverage you will see the teardrop.Dyno Don,Ronnie sox,etc all had teardrop hoods. ROY .
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

SLCK64

Post by SLCK64 »

Ahhhhhhhhh, now I see.... still like the "sleepery" ram air... :)

64COMET
Comet Central Member

Post by 64COMET »

I have a ram-air hood with a tear-drop on my 64 . There are pics in the photo section on page 3 .
1964 Mercury Comet Caliente 2-door hardtop
1966 Ford Galaxie 7 liter Convertible ( Under construction
1937 Ford Tu-dor Street Rod ( Dad's car )
2003 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Lariat

SLCK64

Post by SLCK64 »

OOOOOHHH!!!!!...The infamous Dyno Don double hood....as so I read he ran that at some point. It does look BADA$$!!! I think the ram air helps the bubble look soo huge.... My buddy had a 6inch cowl induction hood in an 89 Trans-Am....you couldnt even see across the lane in front of you... :shock:

64COMET
Comet Central Member

Post by 64COMET »

Yes that is a hood I had bought off of one of Dyno Don's cars a few years ago. And yes its huge , it sometimes takes a little effort to see over it.
1964 Mercury Comet Caliente 2-door hardtop
1966 Ford Galaxie 7 liter Convertible ( Under construction
1937 Ford Tu-dor Street Rod ( Dad's car )
2003 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Lariat