New Female Member 64 Comet Gasser 351C 4 spd

Let everyone know a little about yourself
64cometgasser

New Female Member 64 Comet Gasser 351C 4 spd

Post by 64cometgasser »

Hello everyone, I'm posting for the 1st time on this site. I just recently scored a really cool 64 Comet Caliente Gasser to play with. I've always owned GM muscle cars and never owned a gasser so the Comet is a whole new experience for me. I've been a motor head my whole life and a mechanic/ driveability tech too so I'm not green to what and how cars work. I love running superchargers and multiple carburators on tunnel rams and setting them up to function / perform properly. But I have a question dealing with the suspension in the rear and was wondering if I could get some input from whomever has knowledge in these systems. Question: I want to raise the whole car higher and want to relocate the leaf springs to the top side of the 9" that's in it from the bottom which is not a problem to weld new spring perches on top of the tubes. My 9" has AFX style ladder/traction bars welded under it that bolt in at the frame bracket under body solidly. So I'm wondering if I relocate the springs to the top will I need to fabricate a lowering pivot bracket sort of like a shackle of sorts to be able to bolt in the front part of the ladder/traction bar so it has some forward/rearward movement to it for proper operation? Or just fabricate a lowering bracket to make up for the body lift and leave it solidly bolted in at the front part of the bar? This is NOT a race car , just a cruiser to have some fun with. Oh and also the front axle has a 4" drop which I'm going to replace with a solid straight tube type axle. Another question I have is the amount of POSITIVE caster I'll need to incorporate into it for proper tracking/steering. I've been finding 5 to 7 deg is where it needs to be. So do I do 6 deg? ANY input would be greatly appreciated. Thx

SASSY

Re: New Female Member 64 Comet Gasser 351C 4 spd

Post by SASSY »

Welcome to the site!
Not knowledgeable about gassers but where is the give for the difference in arch between the ladders and springs now?
Oval eyes in the front of the ladders would probably be the simplest and I would think wear best on the street
I think I would speak for most people on here,,,,, where are the pics!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome on. I am like Fred and don't really know anything about gassers but I asm sure someone will be along that can answer your questions. My Comet is going the opposite way of what you are wanting to do.

Haven't done anything with forced intake but I like to do the multi carb thing :roll: well I have once already and getting ready to make a totally new setup of my own design that hopefully I can make run good.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

64cometgasser

Post by 64cometgasser »

Hey Fred and Mike ,,, thanks for the reply. I agree with you Fred about the oval eye in front for ease of it all. I have not ripped it apart yet to see what it has. It looks like a bolt circle in front which would make no sense for the give in the set up. I'll pass along what I find when I get it apart. It's one of the to do's on the list. Didn't mention before that I scored a tunnel ram with 2 Holley 450's that I'm stuffing on it as well :) ,,, And yes I WILL post some pics. I tried but need to resize some to the 2MB max. Thx again , Janelle

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Janelle! :D I'm in the gasser-illiterate group, too, so not much help either. The first thing that popped into my head was what affect will that mod have on your driveshaft angle? Will you also have to make motor/tran mount mods to keep your angles in limits? Here's some info to consider as you plan your project.
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/8.html

Jim