Newbie here from TN

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Suprdave1

Newbie here from TN

Post by Suprdave1 »

I have a friend with a 65 Mercury Comet Caliente and am helping him with replacing metal! The rear frame rails are almost rusted away and he is wanting to clean them and them weld new metal around them. Not sure this is a good idea. any help/thoughts/recommendations? I was trying to find him a donor car in better shape, but that ain't working.
Glad to be in the group
Have you ever stopped to think? And forget to start again? :roll: :shock:

poboyjo65

Re: Newbie here from TN

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! I'm in west Tn, in what part of Tn are you ? I found a donor car for mine,welded the donor frame rails inside of the old ones before cutting them out,then mini tubbed it. the donor car has paid for itself & then some plus all the stuff I used & I still have spare parts.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome, pretty hard to give advice without more info.
What are the plans for the car?
Stock rails severely limit the amount of wheel/tire that can fit under the car.
Return to stock? Street machine? Prostreet? Protour?
Thoughts and ideas for each build would be slightly different.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Howdy Doody!
I'm helping an old friend with two '65 202s. Waiting on a radiator for one, replacing the pinion seal on the other to get the driveshaft back in. It's more of a social thing really, just tinkering away and lots of griping. :lol:
I don't agree with some of his methods but it's his money.

Happy Wrenching!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Suprdave1

Post by Suprdave1 »

I'm in Mt. Juliet, east of Nashville. I'm not sure what his plans really are. He's talking about a 351, but we'll see. The entire rear of the car is nothing but rust. I don't have pics, but can get some later. The trunk pan has been cut out and we are looking at what is left of the frame and it ain't much!! I may try to talk him into replacing it with a full length rectangle tubing as it would require a lot less welding. His funds are very limited, but I'm trying to locate a donor with a lot less rust. I am posting in the 64 65 forum.
Have you ever stopped to think? And forget to start again? :roll: :shock:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Suprdave1 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:36 am
The trunk pan has been cut out and we are looking at what is left of the frame and it ain't much!!
It isn't a problem but an opportunity to do something better :P really not to hard to make a new trunk floor if you are not concerned with originality, I built my floor out of one 4x8 sheet of 18 gauge that cost less than $100.

I was able to add the '68 Mustang 22 gallon tank that was only about $70 as opposed to a Comet tank for $400+. I would think if you can weld halfway building new frame rails would not be that hard, I would use the originals as patterns and just pie cut some rectangular tubing and bend to match, you can make cardboard templates off of you original rails to figure out how much to remove for the cuts, make sure there is a little gap at the cuts and weld between then you can grind the weld smooth.

I would suggest reading through a few of the build threads on here and see what others have done.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058