Newbie - kinda'

Let everyone know a little about yourself
power band

Newbie - kinda'

Post by power band »

A newbie-return'ee to Comet Performance after a few years and a few more projects. Currently running (and working on) an early Comet, 1961 2 door and 76 Comet front clip'd / 74 Maverick. Both have small block six 250's with a few mods...

1961 Comet :

Image - Image - Image

70's Comet/Maverick

Image . Image . Image

have fun

SASSY

Re: Newbie - kinda'

Post by SASSY »

I think you have a built in fan on this site!
Multiple carb 6s, who thought that would be a thing?
Welcome,,,,,,, back!
Fred
Wow, the pressure one too :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that 250 6 is a tough little 6 cyl....had one in a 1975 pu with AC ,3spd,,,drove it awhile...later pulled it and installed a 65 289 4spd overdrive,headers 4bbl,,,made a pr of mufflers useing 2 driveshafts,,tail pipes kicked out behind rear of tires,,,great sound.....anyway back on the 250,,I was very pleased with it in that truck....very dependable...the truck had a 3.70 rear gear so it pulled a decent load well.....good luck and more then 1 carb is always a plus with OL POP
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Glad you made it in powerband, now you can help with the 6 cyl. questions :roll: :P

You all need to catch up 250-6 with multi carbs (or forced induction) Is "THE THING!" :P
SASSY wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:32 pm
I think you have a built in fan on this site!
And just so everyone knows, me and Power Band have already met 8)

We will have to have the low down on the supercharger, not that I would do anything like that :roll:

Anyhow, welcome back.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome back! I remember you from the falcon site, I think you had a patriotic comet too ,still got it? :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome back! :D

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Nice cars and cool 6 bangers! 8)
Twin turbos on the '61 would be pretty wicked :wink:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

power band

Post by power band »

We will have to have the low down on the supercharger, not that I would do anything like that :roll:

... before we get technical: my daughter in law has a Ford Lightning P/U clone. Nice showy truck with built in gaming console and some other odd stuff along with 351C - with Vortech SC. After a poor tune and melted pistons a nice running 351W was swapped in and the Vortech 'became available'.

My current project is the supercharged Maverick 250. The Vortech supercharger package was previously installed on the Ford 302 P/U 'Lightning' with boost controller, MSD ign/boost , FMU setup and Vortech V2sc. If they added and understood an AFR gauge, I would not have the sc and detonation would not have melted and blown their pistons . TC vs SC is yet another level of understanding...

Before the Vortech sc, the Maverick 250 used a Buick based draw-through turbo setup that pulled @ 10 lbs boost until loaded and could push 20 psi at manifold gauge . Soon the head gasket let go and piston lands cracked off. ( At 20 psi boost, the 250 with BOP turbo -Quadrajet would howl..)

The Vortech centrifugal supercharger setup inadvertently became available to me but I think the cost of most SC setups prohibit amateur project level builders from considering it a serious option. I paid @ $1K for an untested - head unit only - out of a blown and maybe internally trashed Ford Lightning. The Buick Regal /GN turbo setup cost @ $250 and a brand new 'offshore' turbo cost less than a good clutch. I started with an Eaton 'roots' type (Pontiac) SC which are available inexpensively but found difficult to work with mounting and carb setups.

With 'modern' Fuel and Ignition management and careful monitoring of the AFR gauge, Forced Induction can enable 'modern' driving on interstate or mountain roads with original engine, upgraded drivetrain, suspension and brakes on early cars.

have fun

Image . . Image .

Image . Image